How Long Between Airport Move and First Flight did it take, roughly?

• 30 Days

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • 3 months

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • 6 months

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • More than 1 year

Votes: 8 21.6%

• Total voters

John Courte

Well Known Member
I know the answers will probably be all over the map for this one, but...

How long between the time you moved your project to the airport and first flight?

Just about a month to do the assembly work and get things ready for the inspection------then close to another month waiting for the other folks to fit me into their schedules, getting the local guy with scales to weigh the plane, the FAA to inspect it and one last looksee from my RV mentor-----and waiting for the weather to clear.

i put 3 months, but like Mike. some of that was waiting on uncontrollable stuff.....weather, FSDO.

It took me about 4.5 months, but I had to do the rudder pedal SN, repair a sticky carb float, and chase a couple of frustrating electrical gremlins during that time. Also, it was winter time, meaning short work sessions due to the cold.

It seemed like forever...

Moved to airport before hanging engine therefore was several years including the paint.

It was about 2 weeks for me. I made sure I had EVERYTHING completely done at home first. I had to re-install the wings, weigh, calibrate the fuel senders, and do a fuel flow test. After that, first engine start and a taxi. Waited a week for the inspection, and flew the day after that.

It was about 2 weeks for me. I made sure I had EVERYTHING completely done at home first. I had to re-install the wings, weigh, calibrate the fuel senders, and do a fuel flow test. After that, first engine start and a taxi. Waited a week for the inspection, and flew the day after that.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to take the same approach. The nearest field I'd feel comfortable doing a first flight out of is ~45min away; once the move happens it'll really slow things down if I don't have it all lined up and ready to go.