Rivethead

Well Known Member
Does anyone know where the co-ordinates that are published in various reference material are located? Is it a standard location?

I have seen this discussed years ago, and I was told that sometimes it is the geographic center of the airport, sometimes the location of the Tower - and other times, no one knew why. At least that's how I remembered it.... ;)

ARP

The Airport Reference Point (ARP) is at the notional center point of an airport, located at the geometric center of all the usable runways. It is noted on Jeppesen approach plates as a circle with crossing lines inside.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

It's the co-ordinates given on the Airport Master Database, the IQ 5010 one here.

This is the airport master reference, Marana as an example -

http://www.gcr1.com/5010web/airport.cfm?Site=AVQ

This reference point is not marked on the FAA approach charts - they just seem to simplify it by rounding out the seconds numbers and using degrees and minutes only - example here at bottom of page -

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/1201/10213R12.PDF

This location also seems to be the one that Google Earth uses to put the little aiport symbol on their maps....:)

In some cases, if the runway is extended, it looks like the reference point can remain at it's old location - and example

http://www.airnav.com/airport/bxk

Again, the IQ 5015 is the Master Reference.

Look up any airport here -

http://www.gcr1.com/5010web/

Last edited:
The Airport Reference Point (ARP) is at the notional center point of an airport, located at the geometric center of all the usable runways. It is noted on Jeppesen approach plates as a circle with crossing lines inside.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Yep, this is what I remember being taught many years ago.

One other thing I found a couple years ago while beta testing the iFly 700. Sectional airport locations ARE NOT ACCURATE! The 700 has sectional overlays, and some airports were off by over 1/4 mile. When I asked, I found that, since they were laid out long before GPS, there were errors. It seems the farther you are from a degree line, the more error could creep in. It was strange to turn on and off the sectionals and watch the airports move. At OVO (home airport,) when centered per the sectional, you aren't even within the fences.

Bob

Bob, Mr Video that is very interesting about sectional error being "built in". The project that I'm working on is a GPS unit that I'm considering building from parts. Some history of the project is that over the last Summer I became involved in another project of building a CNC machine. While researching the workings of CNC I came to realize that a CNC machine is really nothing but a stationary auto pilot. That got me thinking, What if? As it turns out it's not that far out of the question to build your own flat screen avionics suite, and fairly inexpensively at that. However, as this project has progressed I have become intrigued by maps of the calibrated variety. To date I have calibrated One partial sectional with a small degree of success. With a scanner I've created a three image scan of part of a sectional. In Photoshop they were stitched together very carefully to create one image then used Pixillon image converter to save that .jpeg as a .ras. I then used a third program to calibrate the co-ordinates to create a new calibrated partial sectional. Problems that become apparent in this process are mostly centered on the fact that sectionals are created as Lambert Conical Projections. Maps used for GPS are calibrated with WGS84 co-ordinates and tend, it appears, to be for all intent and purposes' flat images of only several miles on a side which are tiled together as you zoom out of your image collection. The partial success that I mentioned came mostly, I believe, as a result of the Lambert Conical projection used in the original chart. Having very carefully located and placed the calibration points used once the map was calibrated and saved I found an error of about 7/10ths of a mile centered right about the middle of the chart which agreed fairly closely by direction and distance with the distortion from the original sectional. The width of the map as calculated by the calibration program was 40,000 meters. JG

Last edited: