Texas Motor Speedway closest airports are Fort Worth Alliance (AFW) and Northwest Regional (52F). Both are about a 1 minute RV flight from the racetrack.

Scott

Isn't the airport closed during the race and for some time before and after.

Something about a TFR for outdoor events such as races and football games.

Be careful as the FAA won't tell you about it during your briefing as they don't track when such events start and end and if there is a delay, the TFR moves with the delay.

N941WR said:
..Be careful as the FAA won't tell you about it during your briefing as they don't track when such events start and end and if there is a delay, the TFR moves with the delay.
Oh no! The dreaded "Double Secret TFR" that makes you lose your license.

Sorta...

The airspace around 52F always has a pie-shaped wedge from 0 degrees to 90 degrees where they allow planes into and out of 52F during the race. Of course, driving to the airport to go flying anywhere near race time is quite another thing <g>.

b,d

Go Race

I plan to fly into Ardmore, Ok downtown airport on Sat. Afternoon then drive to race early Sun. Morning. Any RVers doing same, would like to see some nice planes :) . If all goes well I will be driving a Bonanza.
Still have 9a plans at home, SOMEDAY :rolleyes:

Shannon Evans
N5650S (not what I will be in Sat.)

I doubt it!

N941WR said:
Isn't the airport closed during the race and for some time before and after.

Something about a TFR for outdoor events such as races and football games.

Be careful as the FAA won't tell you about it during your briefing as they don't track when such events start and end and if there is a delay, the TFR moves with the delay.

I doubt if that's true at TMS as it's certainly not true at Talladega. The FAA sets up a temporary tower at the Talladega airport and, except for having to deal with the airport parking lot rent-a-cops, it's the best way to go to a race there.

When I've gotten my briefing from FSS, they have always included the NOTAM for the temporary tower and expected high volume of air traffic for the airport.

Don't ever drive to Talladega for a Cup race...the parking lot and then the Interstate are one big traffic jam. The truck, Busch, and ARCA races are a different story. :)

I've seen the TMS track and I haven't been to a race there, but I can imagine there are a lot of "big boys with big toys" who would be flying in to the Alliance airport even after the race starts, just as they do at Talladega.

YMMV,
Don

Do the local chopper charter companies still offer air taxi service in/out of TMS for well-heeled fans?

why not hicks?

t67 may not be the closest to the speedway, but it's pretty darn close. if i were going there, i would try to do hicks on the off chance of meeting up with some of the great rv supporters there. it's only about 5 nm from alliance, iirc (i moved away from fw shortly after alliance was completed in the early 90's).

Gary Bricker

The choppers work out of Alliance. 52 F is about 2 to 3 miles. I flew into there last year and sure was nice. I had someone to pick me up so it was no problem. Good restaurant on field.