BlackRV7

Well Known Member
Got the go ahead to move Black Magic so open to help. It is at EKX. I'll come up with a truck and trailer. I'm thinking Saturday, I'll buy lunch.........least I can do;) The right tank has 20 gallons, left probably 10.....I'm thinking if anybody flies in and wants some fuel, I'll bring a 5 gallon can along to transfer fuel.

I'm thinking the only thing we need to to do is remove the wings and I'll make some padded PVC braces for the elevator and rudder to keep them from flopping around on the drive and bring her home. I'll probably go over on Friday evening and doing the prep work.....removing flaps, wing root fairings, upholstery to get to the seat pans so I can remove the aileron pushrods at the sticks....and such.

I do need one thing, someone to go and measure the outside dimensions on the landing gear on a 7 and post that measurement.

Ya gotta promise to be careful around the cowl and windscreen.....they are painted and I wouldn't want them scratched..............trying not to be so openly aggresive:rolleyes: Sorry, couldn't resist.

Times a wasting, gotta get back to work on her.

Cell 859 625-2844

Measured

the distance and it is 84" axle nut to axle nut. I do no have the wheel pants installed.

Sorry for your pain, i cannot imagine the feeling. Would be better if you had not built it.

Good luck,
David

Dana,
If the WX is OK I will fly over to ETown to help. Let me know Friday PM if you intend to get it Saturday. This board is OK.
Dave (Swift Driver)

Think I Can Make It

Dana, I will be flying to my in-laws at I69 (Clermont Cty) on Sat AM and according to AirNav it is only 116 NM to EKX. I will converse with the scheduling Dept (wife) to see what time we can leave TOL, and let you know when I could be there.
You will probably get lots of hands, but I can always come and ballast the trailer!

Dana,

'bout what time should we show up? Weather permitting will be there.

Bob

Bob, I'm heading over tomorrow and will spend the night so I'll be there earlyish Saturday. Weathermeister shows a chance of rain so be vigilant. I'll have my cell.

Anybody think of any other useful tools to remove the wings other than some good advice earlier tonight:

Wire cutters
drift pins
C clamp for pulling/pushing bolts out
Wood blocks
hammer....and bigger hammer
Socket set and wrenches
bubble wrap
blackets
tie downs
wood blocks for truck bottom and nails
beer...........

Anybody think of any other useful tools to remove the wings other than some good advice earlier tonight:

Wire cutters
drift pins
Wood blocks
Socket set and wrenches
bubble wrap
blackets
tie downs
beer...........

If it is possible, you might consider an air wrench and rivet gun. It might speed up bolt removal. Battery powered drill for screws. Also hardware store bolts to hold the wings in place as the last wing bolts are removed. You probably have those anyway. Don't know if you have access to compressed air or a portable compressor. Drawings might be helpful as it can be easy to miss a bolt.

Weather looks like it may move out fairly early. Who knows? If it doesn't, I'll make it a later date. Not IFR and not ready for a road trip. You're gonna need people later anyway.

Bob

Wire cutters
drift pins
Wood blocks
Socket set and wrenches
bubble wrap
blackets
tie downs
beer...........

You mention wire cutters, be sure have some way to label the wires as needed for reassembly.

Seems like it wouldn't hurt to have a nice big roll (or two) of duct tape either...

Good luck!

You mention wire cutters, be sure have some way to label the wires as needed for reassembly.

Seems like it wouldn't hurt to have a nice big roll (or two) of duct tape either...

Good luck!

Good call, either that or I'm going to color code the wires at the cut point with different color Sharpies. It won't be 200 mph tape..........I can go for the 70 mph stuff. Matter of fact, that will be what holds the cowl.......everything is "kinda" out of alignment.............

How bout this gang, we meet at EKX at 10 AM Saturday morning. Chance of rain, so we'll work in their big hangar.

I'll be reachable on my cell.

Dang it, I'd be there in a heart beat but #1 I'm on call at the hospital and #2 it's my sons 2nd birthday party. So I'd be fired and castrated in the same day.:eek:

I'll be there in spirit and wish you the best.

Keep posting your "help needed" threads as this rebuild progresses. I'm sure you have more than enough support at your home base as you did such a beautiful job to begin with but.......keep us posted if I/we can do anything. Can't be much more than an hour or two by -4. I just love X-C missions. Helps justify all the checks we write.;)

Dana,

If you have access to compressed air, the wing bolts come out very quickly with a rivet gun using a drive slightly smaller than the wing bolts. You can't get to all of them with the gun, but it sure makes short work of the the ones you can get to...about 3 to 5 seconds per bolt.

Bill

Tires

You might consider taking 4 or 8 old tires to lay the wings on when you remove them from the fuselage.

Barry

Bob, I'm heading over tomorrow and will spend the night so I'll be there earlyish Saturday. Weathermeister shows a chance of rain so be vigilant. I'll have my cell.

Wire cutters
drift pins
Wood blocks
Socket set and wrenches
bubble wrap
blackets
tie downs
beer...........

Duct tape.....

Dana,
Been following your build progress for a while on VAF. I was sick when I saw the photos the other Sat. morning. I was out in the shop working my baffles.
She'll fly again... and soon..

Chris..

Whenever I moved my wings and tail surfaces I used a couple of rolls of insulation. Cut to lengths and duct tape. Works better than blankets and it's relatively cheap. Keeps a little more space between parts.
Good luck.

Good call,

At EKX now, headed out to Wally World....but it sounds like a stop at Lowe's aviation moving department is in order.

See all, and thanks

I would also buy a few sheets of the 1/2" rigid foam insulation to put between things. I used them throughout the build. Good Luck!

The move is over

Huge thanks to VAF and the following for showing up to help in dissembling Black Magic and getting her out of harms way......:

Curt & Kim Hostermon RV-7
Chuch Brietigam RV-3
Mike Coates RV-9A fuselage
Scott Tubbs RV-8 finishing
Greg Gruninger RV-8
Shad Ayers Transport, food go getter and general nice guy
Joker RV-8

As I was driving in I saw a two ship inbound and made the comment, gotta be RV's, sure enough about the time I pulled into the parking lot, up come Greg and Chuck taxiing to the ramp.........."hey guys......park waaaaayyyy over there"!!

We got started shortly before 10AM. At any one time there were four or five guys going at it on the hottest Saturday of the year. It still took us until shortly before 4 PM to get her loaded on the trailer of a commercial carrier's flatbed. I used their truck so it would be covered by their insurance during the move. The company has several semi's along with two F350 diesels with some pretty good size triple axle goosenecks, which is what I used for the move.

smash3001np8.jpg

It takes a little longer to remove a pair of completed wing, than when you put them on for the final time. Final time..hah, so I thought:eek:

Anyway, some of the wing bolts decided to try and kick us in the......backside. An application of a rivet gun made the bolts see it our way, using air as a "bigger hammer:.

As for transport, the use of R-19 insulation and duct tape added a layer of cushion as we laid the wings flat under the fuselage flatbed trailer. We first wrapped the wings in sheets and blankets, then the insulation. Scott, I'll get the blankets, foam and your pliers back to you next weekend. Check out the insulation idea, good one Seth. Todd, we did use 1/2 blue rigid foam insulation on the bottom of the wings also, these puppies were not going to get damaged in the move.

smash3006pv5.jpg

Big thanks to you guys, thanks is not enough but thank you anyway. Kim, sorry to have kept Curt there so long, I know you were looking forward to dinner at Rough River. I tell you what, those were three beautiful RV's sitting on the ramp at EKX.

Down to the garage I go, got my pondering chair sitting in front of the airplane, fridge plugged back in and tools waiting to have the dust knocked off of them. Going to remove the prop today and start unhooking lines, sensors and such from the engine........times a wasting.

Keep pounding, I will too, these things are just too much fun to fly!!

Last edited:
Down to the garage I go, got my pondering chair sitting in front of the airplane, fridge plugged back in and tools waiting to have the dust knocked of of them. Going to remove the prop today and start unhooking lines, sensors and such from the engine........times a wasting.

You missed building her THAT much, eh? :eek: Seriously, Dana, may she have a speedy recovery! (You may have to consider renaming her Black Magic 1.5) :rolleyes:

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Dana,
I marvel at your fantastic attitude as this "nightmare" has unfolded. Had it happened to me, they would have me straightjacketed in an asylum somewhere out of necessity. Your upbeat positive attitude throughout ... and willingness to share your discovery/recovery process with us ... is both respected and appreciated. May Black Magic be "all better" in an eyeblink.

Dana:You prove my point.......

Dana my long standing philosophy of life is......life is a series of problems, successful people solve their problems successfuly.......

In every respect you have been a stand up guy and have successfuly solved some pretty difficult problems......even as a gentelman.

My hat is off to you big time.

When all of this is behind you next winter sit down and write a book on this I just know you will have a best seller.

Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A... last 985 details..............

Dana,
Had it happened to me, they would have me straightjacketed in an asylum somewhere out of necessity. May Black Magic be "all better" in an eyeblink.

Sitting in front of Black Magic as we speak with engine removed...............and straight jacket marks present on the wrists.........they can't keep me under supervision forever...............................

Coping

...Down to the garage I go, got my pondering chair sitting in front of the airplane, fridge plugged back in and tools waiting to have the dust knocked off of them. Going to remove the prop today and start unhooking lines, sensors and such from the engine........times a wasting.

Keep pounding, I will too, these things are just too much fun to fly!!

"The world breaks everyone and afterward, many are strong at the broken places."
- Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms