Kyle Boatright

Well Known Member
I'm looking for a quick source for a carb bowl gasket for a MA-4SPA carb and the 4 little tabbed lockwashers that you replace when you reinstall the carb bowl.

The gasket part number is: 16-B75
The part number for the lockwashers is: 78-A110

Aircraft Spruce has the gasket, but not the tabbed washers.

This is a critical need 'cause I can't head to Oshkosh on Thursday without a properly funcitoning carb...

So, does anyone know of a likely source in the Atlanta area?

Barring that, what are some other sources which I could call on Monday and have the parts shipped for next day delivery?

The background is that I discovered fuel stains on the belly of the aircraft after today's flight. Once I tracked it down, the source of the leak was a slightly loose carb bowl. So, to do things right, I need to pull the carb float bowl, replace the gasket, and replace all 4 tabbed lockwashers.

Thanks in advance...

carb kit

We just replaced our float with a kit from Spruce and it included the gasket and the tabbed washers. The old float had about 30 hrs on it (new carb and new engine) and it nearly killed us when the engine died, but that's another story. Anyway, kind of expensive if you just need the washers. But this would work to get you to Oshkosh.
Also, are you sure that you can't reuse the washers that you already have?

Last edited:
Parts

Kyle Boatright said:
I'm looking for a quick source for a carb bowl gasket for a MA-4SPA carb and the 4 little tabbed lockwashers that you replace when you reinstall the carb bowl.

The gasket part number is: 16-B75
The part number for the lockwashers is: 78-A110

Aircraft Spruce has the gasket, but not the tabbed washers.

This is a critical need 'cause I can't head to Oshkosh on Thursday without a properly funcitoning carb...

So, does anyone know of a likely source in the Atlanta area?

Barring that, what are some other sources which I could call on Monday and have the parts shipped for next day delivery?

The background is that I discovered fuel stains on the belly of the aircraft after today's flight. Once I tracked it down, the source of the leak was a slightly loose carb bowl. So, to do things right, I need to pull the carb float bowl, replace the gasket, and replace all 4 tabbed lockwashers.

Thanks in advance...

Call Mike's Aircraft Fuel Metering 918-838-6217

or

http://2aps.com/cfs_Carb Kits.htm

Last edited:
Kyle,
Can you send me the dimensions and a picture of the washers? I have some tabbed washers which were left over from my carb install and you are welcome to them if they are what you need.

bsacks05 said:
Kyle,
Can you send me the dimensions and a picture of the washers? I have some tabbed washers which were left over from my carb install and you are welcome to them if they are what you need.

Bruce,

I don't have the washers with me, but I can give you a general description:

Each washer has 5 tabs. Three adjacent tabs are shorter and more squared off than the other two, and are designed to be bent up agains the flats on the bolt head. The bolt is the size of an AN-3, maybe smaller, with a correspondingly small head. The other two tabs on the washer are longer, have rounded tips, and are designed to bend down over the corners of the carb. The idea is that the two long tabs lock the washer in place relative to the carb, and the three small tabs prevent the bolt from turning.

I believe the washers are flat when they are new, and the tabs are bent during assembly.

You can sort of make out the two long tabs on one of these washers in the 5th picture from this page in Sam Buchanan's site:

http://home.hiwaay.net/~sbuc/journal/engine4.html

The washer is under the head of the bolt at the near corner of the carb - just to the left of the dataplate. You can see the two long tabs if you know what you're looking for.

Kyle,
Good chance I might have those. Just saw them recently as I was cleaning the hangar. I'll go in the morning around 8 and see for sure if they are what you need. Send me your phone number so I can call from there. Where is your airplane?

[email protected]