scrollF4

Moderator, Asst. Line Boy
Ambassador
Gang,
Are there any airparks within reasonable auto commuting distance from San Marcos airport? For that matter, do those airports/areas have hangar homes?

Sid

Not sure what you mean, do you mean exploration commute or an actual daily commute for work?

I live at 1T7, Kestrel Airpark, 30 miles by airplane 45 or so by car.

The others that I am aware of, in order of closeness to San Marcos are;
Huber Airpark, Elm Creek Airpark, Heritage Airpark

Wade

To/From work commute

Sid

Not sure what you mean, do you mean exploration commute or an actual daily commute for work?

Wade

Thanks, Wade.
I'm talking about daily commute. I'm retiring from the USAF and moving to Texas this spring, and am building my list of options where to live...and an airpark or hangar home sits on top of my list of dreams.

Check out Zuehl. From what I have been told it was a training spot for aircraft during the WWII era. It used to be paved, but the grass has grown up through it over time. You can still see paved areas outside some of the hangars. However, that makes for a great base for the turf.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/1TE4

I'm talking about daily commute.

Gotcha. Sorry I forgot about Zuel. The commute up I-35 would probably be faster. I flew the first month out of San Marcos so I know the commute from here would be 45-60 minutes because you have to go around Canyon Lake.

I commute 60 miles each way to my work now and it is definitely worth it. Lucky for me it only takes an hour. Nothing like sitting at your breakfast table and watching the plane run up at the end of the runway.

As a general note the San Antonio area is cheaper than Austin. I loved living in Austin, but the airparks there are very expensive, so I had to go south.

Good luck and if you need any more help feel free to PM.

Last edited:
I don't know how reasonable a commute would be, but Breakway Park in Cedar Park, just north of the Austin City Limit has nice homes. It is not too far from the SR130 toll way that now allows 80 mph traffic. I'm not sure how easy it is to get to San Marcos from the tollway. I would not appreciate any commute that involved driving I35 through downtown Austin during rush hour.

Lakeway also has a nice airport you could live on. You might be able to take some back roads to San Marcos from there. No night operations there, though.