bertschb

Well Known Member
Friend
There is an airpark home for sale in Prineville, Oregon (Dry Creek - OG21). I'm not the owner and I'm not selling this house. The gentleman that owned it passed away and the family is selling the home. I didn't know the owner as he was ill and passed away shortly after we moved here. My wife and I live a few doors down the street.

I've hesitated posting this because it's kind of none of my business. I just selfishly would like to have an airplane owner move into the home and even better, a Vans owner!

Dry Creek airpark is about ten miles south of Prineville, Oregon. And no, unlike the Willamette Valley west of the Cascade mountains, it isn't cloudy, rainy and dreary here! The weather is great. Not too hot. Not too cold. It rarely rains or snows. Very low humidity. If you have any questions about the area, neighbors, weather, HOA, etc I'm happy to answer them. I can't answer any questions about the home itself as I know nothing about it.

Here is the Zillow listing:
Dry Creek Airpark home for sale

what are the monthly HOA fees?
Well, we don't have monthly fees. Instead, the HOA looks at forecast expenses, cash reserve needs, etc and then votes on the annual assessment amount at the annual HOA meeting each fall. The last few years the annual assessment has been around $2,000 but that includes water. The last several homes we've owned the city water/sewer bill was $150/month so we tell ourselves the HOA fees are a wash since we no longer pay for water or sewer :)

I've flown over this airport many many times. Looks very nice! Don't know anyone there so never landed there. But I will say the weather is pretty nice compared to what we get on the west side.

Ok, I figured the $2200 wasn’t set, as they never are in these type communities.
I asked my realtor a LOT of questions about the HOA and their funding/budgeting before we moved here. This is by far the best run HOA I've been involved in even though it's the smallest (40 lots). I think the budget forecast goes out 30 years and includes even piddly stuff like wind sock replacements. Very, very detailed and very conservative planning.

Regarding Zillow, I started updating the info on my house on the site in anticipation of an eventual sale. I find it an oversight that they do not make it easy to add details like “airport property” or “hangar” considering how much those features add to the value of the property.

What I find interesting is it appears listing agents just want the listing (easy commission). They don't seem to try very hard to actually sell the property. This property may be listed on an aviation specific site somewhere but I wasn't able to find it. Plus, no hangar photos after it being listed for a month?? And they can't spell hangar properly? Maybe try just a tad bit harder?

Regarding Zillow, I started updating the info on my house on the site in anticipation of an eventual sale. I find it an oversight that they do not make it easy to add details like “airport property” or “hangar” considering how much those features add to the value of the property.
Hah! At our last airpark, a neighbor who was selling had an appraiser downgrade the property because it “was right next to an airport, and who wants that noise?!” Would have loved to see what he was doing with waterfront property….. 🤣

Hah! At our last airpark, a neighbor who was selling had an appraiser downgrade the property because it “was right next to an airport, and who wants that noise?!” Would have loved to see what he was doing with waterfront property….. 🤣
I have heard the EXACT same statement from an appraiser! I also used the waterfront and golf course examples (who wants all that seagull crap all over or golf balls coming through the windows)

Some people live in very small worlds, I guess.

And they can't spell hangar properly? Maybe try just a tad bit harder?
Heck, many pilots and builders on VAF can't spell 'hangar' correctly (not to mention a plethora of other aviation-related words)!

i-vxmmqCf.jpg

Last edited:
We educated our realtor when we sold our airpark home. Gave him several resources including advertising on BS where our purchaser noticed the add.
Yes, there is added value for an Airpark property for someone who wants to live on one. You’re trading in a very thin market, but it only takes one!

"Home was constructed with the use of ICF (Insulated Concrete Forms) system..." Yikes. There's a house being built next to me that uses a similar system, ICCF ("Perfect Block"). Seems to take a lot more labor hours than wood-frame construction. Made sense when random length lumber futures (RLLF) hit $1711/1000 board feet during the pandemic, makes less sense now that RLLF is trading at $380.60/1000 board feet. The foreman on the house next door told me and a neighbor that he hates ICCF. The outside ICCF walls have to have channels routed into the block to run plumbing and wiring. The drywall gets glued or otherwise attached to the inside surface of the blocks. Good luck if you need to add a switch or outlet somewhere down the road after the house is finished.

We educated our realtor when we sold our airpark home. Gave him several resources including advertising on BS where our purchaser noticed the add.
Yes, there is added value for an Airpark property for someone who wants to live on one. You’re trading in a very thin market, but it only takes one!
Though the appeal of air park property is not universal, neither is paying a premium for a riverfront lot with an attached dock if you don’t care about boating or living with easy access to golf course if you could care less about golf. But all are rare attributes and worth consideration for those of us who value it.

I guess I’m surprised that features like “land” or “storage building“ is not more prominent in valuation. My hangar is 4200 Sq ft and a car guy, boat guy or a multitude of other people should find significant value in that amount of space under roof.

Though the appeal of air park property is not universal, neither is paying a premium for a riverfront lot with an attached dock if you don’t care about boating or living with easy access to golf course if you could care less about golf. But all are rare attributes and worth consideration for those of us who value it.

I guess I’m surprised that features like “land” or “storage building“ is not more prominent in valuation. My hangar is 4200 Sq ft and a car guy, boat guy or a multitude of other people should find significant value in that amount of space under roof.
Just my experience from owning airpark property. Take the same home with all of the same amenities off the airfield and they are typically less expensive by quite a bit in the same general area. Not always though.

Just my experience from owning airpark property. Take the same home with all of the same amenities off the airfield and they are typically less expensive by quite a bit in the same general area. Not always though.
There is a certain airpark in AZ I’ve been trying to get into for decades and the mere fact that a house is on the runway adds a minimum of $500k to the price.