rwshooter

Well Known Member
Building my first aileron, 7A. The plans call for countersinking the counterwieght pipe. The leading edge skin that attaches to the pipe at those locations cant be dimpled or counter sunk. Plans say that when you pull the CS4-4 blind rivets that the skin will deform enough to fit the countersunk pipe. Is this for real....that bullnose area on the leading edge skin is pretty stiff even though its only .020...If so is this where a neumatic puller would be handy?

Thanks...Robb 7A wings

rivet gun with a male dimple die

i used a rivet gun set that accepts standard dies and used the countersunk pipe as the female die, rivet gun on low pressure...

img0907b.jpg

Building my first aileron, 7A. The plans call for countersinking the counterwieght pipe. The leading edge skin that attaches to the pipe at those locations cant be dimpled or counter sunk. Plans say that when you pull the CS4-4 blind rivets that the skin will deform enough to fit the countersunk pipe. Is this for real....that bullnose area on the leading edge skin is pretty stiff even though its only .020...If so is this where a neumatic puller would be handy?

Thanks...Robb 7A wings

The skin can be dimpled for the blind rivets using the (2" ?) rivet set extension that comes with the c frame riveting/dimpling tool.

Alternative

I didn't have any kind of extension, so I drilled a hole to accept a male dimple die in a piece of 1/2" round aluminum rod that I had laying around. Using a hammer, the dimples came out perfect. I stole the idea from Brad Oliver, which he doumented on his site. http://www.rv7factory.com/log/070102.php

Last edited:
Thanks

I didnt have the extension either, so I did the same as Brad and just lightly hamered the skin using the pipe as the female.....looks perfect...

Thanks again guy's.....BTW anyone know what happened to Dan Checoways web site?

Robb 7A

I didnt have the extension either, so I did the same as Brad and just lightly hamered the skin using the pipe as the female.....looks perfect...

Thanks again guy's.....BTW anyone know what happened to Dan Checoways web site?

Robb 7A

If you click on it there is an explanation.

bummer

checked out the "explanation" at Dan's website. what a bummer that was a great resource.......with all those 'NO's' dude sounds a bit pissed at somethin....hope all is well.

Robb 7A aileron #2

I can't find the thread here to post this but the site is still somewhat available at the wayback machine. The link should give you a search on 'rvproject.com' and has various iterations of the site. Not all the images are there, especially in the later archives, but the text is still available and some searching may give you the pictures you need. However, remember this is not Dan's site; please respect his privacy and don't pester him for 'missing' info or answers to questions.