flyboy

I don't mean to ask sensitive questions, but. . .the factory-built fleet is beginning to encounter some aging aircraft issues. Many airplanes are decades old. What is the highest airframe time of any Vans that you know of? Or, what is the total time on your Vans? Any word of maintenance issues with older Vans, like what to look out for? I am thinking of building an 8, but surely some of the 4s and 6s have lots of hours by now.

Last edited:
Has anyone reached TBO on the engine (2,000hrs)? Are there any special or recommended airframe inspections at a certain hour limit?

Thank you William. It is unlikely that anyone will get close to 12,000TT. Most high time singles, built in the 1960s, are still well below 10,000.

I own the second customer built RV-4 to fly, Mothers Day 1983, over 22 years old and has 1475 hours. The airframe along with its original paint is still in very good condition. I am the second owner and flying it regularly.

Yes I know what you mean. I fly every day or other day but seldom have any where to go and just fly a half an hour or so, looks like I will fly 150 hours this first year I have owned my -4. 400 to 500 hours a year sounds like a job, My Suburban has an hour meter on it and seems like I saw it at 335 hours at 12000 miles witch took almost a year.

I know there are RV?s out there with more time then mine by quite a bit but no one is sharing there numbers so I thought I would start, It would be interesting to see what is out there. I also think that most of the addicts do slow down after a good bit of flying.