slug driver

I'm New Here
I dare say that this subject has been done to death but I'm chasing a rough figure of what the slow build -8 kit cost would be including shipping to Australia. Not considering tooling, engine or avionics at this point.

Any good tips would be great as I'm just toying with the idea at this point.

Cheers :)

Welcome to VAF.
I got my 7A wing and fuse kit together, it was about 3K to get it here in Brisbane by sea. Keep an eye on the USD-AUD.

Airframe Cost

Don't forget to factor in any mods/upgrades/custom features:

Grove airfoil gear (airfoil gear set is currently $1995; see www.groveaircraft.com); Van's will deduct the cost of components replaced by this mod: regular gear, inboard and outboard brackets, hardware bag)...search the forum for details.

Fairings, etc. fairings (or do it yourself) vs. Van's stock gear fairings (Fairings, Etc. offers gear leg fairings for the Grove mod).

Interior: many options here. See vendor ads on VAF for Oregon Aero and Classic Aero, www.cleavelandtoolstore.com or www.flightlineinteriors.com.

Fastback mods. See the forum for details.

Good luck,
Mike

Shipping and GST

I might have done slightly worse than Jamie with my shipping costs, however I shipped the first 3 kits together (emp, wings and fuse). They arrived by air courtesy of BAX Global. Their BNE affiliate is Schenker. From leaving Van's, everything arrived about 2 weeks later. The main spar box ended up missing a connection in SYD, hence the slightly longer transit. Everything arrived perfectly, so that was some comfort. Van's pack extraordinarily well! The process through customs, etc is all handled by Schenker, and hassle free. Just a couple of forms to fill.

I paid US$3200.08 for air freight, door to door.

The fees, which include GST, customs clearance, fumigation, handling etc, etc, etc.... came to a further US$1930.43.

If I had my time again, I would probably send the items by sea. There is also a guy on the list called Aussiecarimports. He ships from Van's to BNE. Might be worth a forum search and email.

Best wishes with your decision....

I used C&H for the first lot ( wings/fuse) by Sea, the shipment got damaged, two parts in the fuse kit. A forklift had put at least 4 holes in the side of the crate. I have use Aussiecarimports the other day, was very happy with the price, as I didnt need the part in a hurry, it just went in a container when a gap was free. Give Phil a call.

Thanks for the info guys. What was the pricing on the kits when you purchased them?

I'm not really worried about the tooling side of things as I'm in the trade already and can source engines/instruments etc.

Any timeframe of putting this kit together that I should consider realistic?