briand

Well Known Member
If you had to pick one or the other which would it be? I don't understand what the Airflow Perf. injection pack really gets you but I understand the cold ind. gets about 7 HP.

AFP

The cold air induction gets rid of the ugly scoop on the bottom of the cowl. You have a snorkel induction that takes air from the front of the cylinder and routes it to the the induction servo. Airflow performance simply provides the WHOLE kit for your fuel injection. Don Rivera is great to work with and is proven in the industry for years. His fuel injection kits comes with everything you need to mount it to the engine for whatever RV you are building. His instruction and service are great also.

The scoop is cute!

Aden Rich said:
The cold air induction gets rid of the ugly scoop on the bottom of the cowl. You have a snorkel induction that takes air from the front of the cylinder and routes it to the the induction servo. Airflow performance simply provides the WHOLE kit for your fuel injection. Don Rivera is great to work with and is proven in the industry for years. His fuel injection kits comes with everything you need to mount it to the engine for whatever RV you are building. His instruction and service are great also.
I love the scoop. I purposefully went with veritical induction so I could keep the scoop. Your a bit younger and bit bigger Aden, but I think I can take you!
( 6 1/2 hours, flying great. Been too busy to make it up your way, but expect a call soon. )

Both the AFP and Precision systems are quality units. Both will fit either vertical or horizontal sumps. With the Precision system, you will still need to have nipples, fittings and fuel lines on hand.

One thing that I think is important is that Don is only a phone call away, and very receptive to helping. Sometimes at Precision it's hard to get ahold of the right people when a situation or questions arise.

Shameless plug here, Airflow has a fuel systems seminar once or twice a year. It is very informative and worth going to. Their next seminar I am told is the first weekend of Nov. Call Don or Colleen for more information.

Does the Airflow Sys. require a return line to the tanks? I have not picked the engine or supplier yet but I have looked at a couple websites (Mattituck and Superior) and it looks like the Silverhawk is standard and the Airflow Perf. costs extra. Is that because I am getting more stuff that I need or just better stuff. Its amazing all the option available and I'm starting to wonder if I should just go with a Vans supplied Exp. Lyc..

BTW, I am planning to be ready to hang the engine late summer early fall so I don't want to wait til Nov. to make a decision.

I've looked into this a bit myself, and from what I understand, if you go with a system that includes the AFP purge valve you don't need a return lines to (into) the tanks, instead you can run a line that T's into one of the fuel lines between a tank and the fuel selector. Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

The scoop is poop!

Jonjay,
good to see you are flying your time off. I hope all is well and you are welcome anytime. I'll have you know however, that I have been working out and I am kind of pumped up now. I have a purge valve on my F1 Rocket EVO and it will most likely be routed back to the tank. I don't know of too many people running it back to the fuel selector but I can't see why it won't work. I don't know the quality of the other fuel injection systems. I know that when I got my AFP fuel injection system I didn't have to go and get one thing both times on each engine I've built. It was all there and the directions were right on the spot. Don really knows his stuff and is very easy to work with. As far as vert draft or horz draft, I like the scoopless cowling and the Horz induction. However, if you are concerned about pricing on engine the the M1B is more expensive than the updraft engine. Hope this helps. Aden Rich