vasrv7a

Well Known Member
Can anyone please explain why Garmin removed the aircraft symbol choices for the G3X attitude indicator in v8.0... and does v8.1 add back the choices? I recently upgraded to v8.0 and I am not very pleased that I cannot select the aircraft symbol that I've gotten comfortable using...:confused:

Please help, comment, or explain...

Thank you.

Victor

Flight director I think...

I have not tried it but you may be able to disable the flight director and get the options back.

Hello Victor,

Brian is correct, the addition of the flight director feature in G3X software version 8.00 and higher requires the use of the triangular attitude reference symbol in order to accommodate the single-cue flight director command bar. The option to customize the attitude reference symbol on the PFD is now available only in installations where no autopilot is configured. We apologize for the inconvenience, but we hope you'll enjoy having a powerful flight director display in your airplane - a feature not available on many expensive certified aircraft!

- Matt

Last edited:
Matt,

Thank you for the update... I understand about the flight director, I have the Tru-Trak Autopilot configured. The flight director symbol is new to me and I was hoping to avoid learning how to use that symbol... Oh well... progress. :rolleyes:

Thank you.

Victor

Hello Victor,

Brian is correct, the addition of the flight director feature in G3X software version 8.00 and higher requires the use of the triangular attitude reference ......... but we hope you'll enjoy having a powerful flight director display in your airplane - a feature not available on many expensive certified aircraft!
- Matt

Matt My system arrives from Stein tomorrow and I'm as excited as a kid on Christmas eve!!!!

I hope to meet the X team at Oshkosh for two reasons:

1) To thank you guys for breaking through the silos that exist in any large corporation in America today. The product you put out is truly amazing.

2) To lobby and try to convince you to release a "Dual Cue" flight director option. User selectable would be nice too!!!! The V bars are nice but in a situation when either pitch or roll commands are invalid or intentionally ignored it is harder to fly. With a Dual Cue system if pitch becomes invalid the roll mode is still valid and easy to track and vice versa. I have extensive time behind both and like most pilots have a strong opinion :)
My 2 cents.
Bob

Hi Bob, looking forward to it! Supporting a dual-cue flight director is something we want to do someday, in order to satisfy those folks like yourself who are used to flyng with one, so if I see you I will probably pick your brain about it.

cheers,
- Matt

Flight Director

We have the Trutrak GX pilot autopilot. It appears the only time the flight director is showing is when the autopilot is flying the airplane or in CWS mode. Is there a way to have it show while hand flying without holding down the CWS button?

Hello Dfetcher,

At the present time, the option to hand-fly using the flight director without the autopilot engaged requires installation of the GMC 305 mode control panel. For more information, please see section 9 in the current G3X Pilot's Guide.

- Matt

Matt,

As noted above regarding flight director mode with the tru-trak autopilot... it seems to be silly that Garmin permits the flight director mode function only when the autopilot is on, it's not needed then. We need this function primarily when hand flying the plane. Because Garmin has removed the symbol choices, i can foresee that this will be an ongoing safety issue for those of us who bought the G3X early, when Garmin's autopilot was not available. Therefore, how can i obtain the older 7.xx version of Garmin's G3X software that i need for my G3X non-305 installation? Had i known that Garmin was not going to support customers who bought the G3X before Garmin had their autopilot, i would not have upgraded my G3X software... Since i do not have the Garmin 305, Please advise how i can obtain the older version of the software that I need to allow my G3X system to function safely. :confused::mad:

Thanx.

Victor

Hello Victor,

Just to clarify for those who are reading this thread... we absolutely intend to support every customer who uses our system, regardless of whether they have installed Garmin autopilot servos or a third-party autopilot. In fact, we have expended considerable effort to improve the G3X system's interface to third-party autopilots, including the addition of new features such as IAS mode, TO/GA modes, and LVL mode. The behavior of the G3X system when interfaced with a third-party autopilot has not changed at all, and these additional features, as well as the ability to have an independent flight director, are all available to those customers with third-party autopilots simply by installing a GMC 305.

We certainly hope that the use of the very common and popular V-shaped attitude symbol on the PFD does not constitute a problem for any users, especially given that the same depiction is used in the many thousands of G1000 systems out there. However, as was mentioned earlier in this very thread, we plan to someday add support for a dual-cue flight director; this would involve a change to allow the optional use of an alternate style of attitude symbol, which perhaps would be more in line with your expectations.

thanks,
- Matt