From the FCC website

"On October 25, 1996, the FCC released a Report and Order in WT Docket No. 96-82 (text) eliminating the individual licensing requirement for all aircraft, including scheduled air carriers, air taxis and general aviation aircraft operating domestically. This means that you do not need a license to operate a two-way VHF radio, radar, or emergency locator transmitter (ELT) aboard aircraft operating domestically. All other aircraft radio stations must be licensed by the FCC either individually or by fleet.

Aircraft operating domestically do not land in a foreign country or communicate via radio with foreign ground stations. Flying in international or foreign airspace is permitted, so long as the previous conditions are met. If you travel to a foreign destination, however, (e.g., Canada, Mexico, Bahamas, British Virgin Islands) a license is required. "

TJ

A point of clarification: While you may not need a "license" to operate the new 406-style ELTs and PRBs, you do need to "register" them with NOAA/SARSAT.

I fly to Canada, so got a license. I recall that it was either free or a minimal cost.

Greg

It is not free.
You need two licenses. An "operator's license" for yourself, and a "station license" for the airplane. Many old pilots still have an operator's license (mine is a piece of cardboard with an FCC stamp on it). I think the cost for both is something like $200 now.

I have never heard a report of a US pilot going into Canada or the Carribean being asked to produce these documents. But it's your call.

FCC Web Site

I fly to Canada, so got a license. I recall that it was either free or a minimal cost.

Greg

I was checking with the FCC and was told that the aircraft Radio License was good for 10 Years and was at a cost of $165.00 in addition the person operating the radio would need to be Licensed.

Is the above true or did I get bad information? I have Canada/Alaska on my bucket list just trying to pre plan a bit.

I was reviewing requirements for going to the Caribbean this past weekend and the radio licensing was noted as a requirement although there was plenty of anecdotal commentary that it was "never" requested by the authorities.

If I go, I think I will have it, since I am a conservative sort. :rolleyes:

I have a operator's licence (Canada). I got it when I got my private licence and they never expire (for aircraft use).

The aircraft radio station licence is available ($36/year in Canada) but not required unless flying into the US according to the person I spoke to at the licencing office (in Canada).

I want to know what you guys in the US are being told regarding licencing.

Bevan

...so a Canuck using a radio in Canada doesn't need a station license, but does as soon as he flies across some border, where they ALSO are not required .....of their residents/operators. Whaaaaaaaaa?????

exemption for Canadians flying in Canada eh.

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/h_sf01775.html

Exactly the same as for US. US aircraft in the US do not need the $165 license. Flying outside the US the FAA says they do need it, but outside the US the FAA has no enforcement powers, and the countries outside the US seem to not enforce this, ...

I normally do not encourage illegal activity, but this whole thing is so silly that I will point out that US pilots who download the application for a license will also get a "temporary" license to use while the application is being processed, so if you "forget" to mail the application and "forget" to date the temporary one, at least you'll have something in the plane if someone actually asks to see it.

I was checking with the FCC and was told that the aircraft Radio License was good for 10 Years and was at a cost of $165.00 in addition the person operating the radio would need to be Licensed.

Wow, I don't remember spending that for the station license, but maybe it was down there in the "noise" category when spending the bucks on avionics etc. I still have a paper operators license from when it was required for my PPL.

Greg