KRAUSEGB

Well Known Member
Looking for insurance without the requirement to have 1 hour of dual with a certificated flight instructor flying in make and model. Or, where do I go to get someone qualified to give me this instruction?
Should I be looking for a different insurance company?
This one is Starr Aviation Insurance.

Gary

Hop on Southwest and go to Portland. Rent a car and drive over to Vernonia and do Mike Seager's transition training. My insurance company wanted 5 hours. The 12 is not hard to fly, but quite different than your typical brand C or P spam can. I was really glad I did it. it also qualified as a BFR.

My insurance thru the EAA had no such requirement. I do agree, get some time in the RV-12 via a fellow builder or with Mike Seager. The control forces are much different than any other production A/C.

I spent about 3 hours with Larry Geiger in his RV-12 before my 1st flight. Was the best investment, ever.

This is what I intend to do, I am very rusty, never flew an RV, and need a BFR.
Hop on Southwest and go to Portland. Rent a car and drive over to Vernonia and do Mike Seager's transition training. My insurance company wanted 5 hours. The 12 is not hard to fly, but quite different than your typical brand C or P spam can. I was really glad I did it. it also qualified as a BFR.

Insurance

Keep in mind there is no law (unlike automobiles) that requires aircraft insurance. Your lender may require it but the law does not. Should you or shouldn't you I can't say but trial lawyers are going to have a hay day with one of us geezers that doesn't have liability when they wish they did. Hull insurance is another story...that's just how much do you want to spend to protect the asset you are going to rebuild....not sure that part is worth it and certainly the larger of the two expenses.

Keep in mind there is no law (unlike automobiles) that requires aircraft insurance. Your lender may require it but the law does not. Should you or shouldn't you I can't say but trial lawyers are going to have a hay day with one of us geezers that doesn't have liability when they wish they did. Hull insurance is another story...that's just how much do you want to spend to protect the asset you are going to rebuild....not sure that part is worth it and certainly the larger of the two expenses.

I dropped my hull insurance. Liability only. Last week, I accomplished a prop strike with my C/S prop. :(

Now I wish I had kept the hull insurance...

P.S. --- nose gear bent under. RV6A didn't flip. Was on a runway, though.

L.Adamson --- bent RV6A

I dropped my hull insurance. Liability only. Last week, I accomplished a prop strike with my C/S prop. :(

Now I wish I had kept the hull insurance...

P.S. --- nose gear bent under. RV6A didn't flip. Was on a runway, though.

L.Adamson --- bent RV6A

I thought I saw that on the preliminary reports last week Larry - sorry to hear it. Anything you can share that might be useful to others on the incident (other than wishing you still had hull insurance)?

{Maybe in a new thread - to keep this on topic and type}

Second year price reduction...

When Carrie and I checked out in the RV-12 with Mike Seager I was a little surprised that the insurance liability quote was higher than I expected.

The transition training was first class and both Carrie and I appreciated the time we spent with Mike Seager. Our liability premium was $600. the first year. We flew the airplane over 400 houyrs the first year and we were plesantly surprised to have the liability premium cut in half on renewal in July. My Ercoupe and RV-12 have the same rate...and that makes me smile.

]Jay Sluiter
N124CS
Albany, OR

I thought of dropping my hull coverage at renewal myself, but I'm a low time taildragger. Got my insurance renewal quote last week and had a $395 reduction in premium. Haven't sent my check in yet, but now that I read this, I'll be dropping it in the mail before Oct 1 rolls around.

FYI for other RV-7 folks: 340hrs TT, 90hrs in type(10 with Seager) $80K hull=$1615/yr...vs... New WW200RV prop = $8400 and engine work=$2K-15K.

.....where do I go to get someone qualified to give me this instruction?Gary

Gary,

Too bad you are on the wrong coast, or I would give you a couple hours instruction for free. Just to "pay back" for the free couple of hours a friend gave me in his Sting Sport, which flies a lot like the RV-12. You surely want to get a little time in a '12 or similar design before becoming a test pilot.

John

See Mike

Flew from Dayton to Portland and did the rental car thing. 3.5 hours with Mike and he turned me loose. It was well worth the cost of the trip just for the peace of mind. I knew the airplane would fly (assuming I didn't really screw something up) because 54 already had and I knew I could fly it.
BTW, my insurance for the second year took a healthy (27%) drop for the second year.

Wayne 120241/143WM

This is what I intend to do, I am very rusty, never flew an RV, and need a BFR.

Don,

If real rusty you need to get some refresher time prior to making the trip to fly with Mike. He really encourages transition students to arrive with current flying skills so he can concentrate on getting you transitioned to the RV instead of spending time bringing you up to basic proficiency. You need to be current in order to make a smooth transition to the RV.

I thought I saw that on the preliminary reports last week Larry - sorry to hear it. Anything you can share that might be useful to others on the incident (other than wishing you still had hull insurance)?

{Maybe in a new thread - to keep this on topic and type}

Paul,

Will do, later this evening. I need to fill out the FAA report tonight, also.

L.Adamson

insurance

Thanks for the comments,

Thanks to Gary Steube, I have two hours in a 12, and you are correct. It is different from Cessnas, Pipers, and Beech.

Problem is, this insurance company wants a certified flight instructor, not just time in a 12.

I used NationAir and was able to get a high time 737 captain who has many hours in all types, Rocket, Rv's, etc., but no time in 12's on my policy. He flew the 12 for 5 hours to satisfy the 5 hrs. in type and I flew with him for 2 hours for the required 2 hours of dual and we were done. I planned on flying with Mike Seager, but it became a logistical nightmare for me. He does want you to be current when you get out there.