ssmdive

Well Known Member
Short set up... I have a Pitts and a buddy has an RV6 (<--- Vans related). We want to enter a partnership where we get to fly each others aircraft.

From an insurance point... Can we just be named pilots on each others aircraft and be fully covered? I have gotten two separate answers. One told me that being named pilot is basically the same coverage as being an owner, the other said that owners have more coverage.

Trying to decide if we can just name each other on our policy, or if we have to go through the hoops of adding them to our corporations as part owners.

You need to be carful in the wording. One way the insurance will pay the owner then sue the second pilot for the damages. The other wording says they will not hold the second pilot liable. Not sure in the terminology.

Hi,

Brief answers to insurance "what ifs" are always touchy. So, to dive in: Ask your insurance broker to ask, then get in writing, a response from your underwriter to your question. Being a "named insured" is different from being an "additional insured" which is different from being a "named pilot". I use quotation marks because you will encounter these terms, or some version, in any conversation on this topic. Source? I have been in the aviation insurance industry as an underwriter then broker for about 30 years now.
Get the response in writing from your underwriter.
Cheers!

As others have said, get it in writing. But usually "named insured" means you are fully covered. "Open pilot" or similar clauses protect the owner but not the pilot. You may wish to speak with an attorney. Holding the plane in the name of a corporation may provide a partner (who wasn't flying) with additional protection.