APACHE 56

Well Known Member
Here's one of those "is it ok to break the speed limit" questions. WRT aircraft fuselage id markings reg 45.25 says: "...horizontally on both sides of the fuselage between the trailing edge of the wing and the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer..."
Looking at RV pictures I see that several folks have the aircraft numbers below vice forward of the horiz stab. I like the "below" albeit illegal location better. Of course I'll ask the DAR before I commit to paint. The question is is this an area that (a) is often ignored by the FAA/DAR folks or (b) is it a case of some lucky folks just slipping it by? I'm trying to come up with some case however tenuous.
thanks,
Don

Part 45 is one of the most abused FARs. Numbers below the horizontal, 3" numbers on aircraft that exceed 180 kts. max cruise speed, non-"Roman" numbers, etc.
As a DAR, I require legal numbers at my inspection. There will be a picture showing that in my file. What you do after that is between you and the FAA.

BTW, a legal way to have the numbers below the horizontal tail is on the rudder. Placement between the wing and tail is "if placed on the fuselage."