Hello RV Builders and Flyers,

Just wondering if anyone has put up their own hangar in recent times and if so would they mind passing any info they may have? Usual stuff would be greatly appreciated; materials, manufacturer, cost, time til completion, special features, workshop facilities, etc.

A mate of mine and I are about to get going with our RV8 tail-kits and are looking to build a hangar in the not-too-distant future so any info would be a great help.

The only thing is we're down under in sunny Australia and would be looking for info relevant to this part of the world.

Safe flying and happy building,

Regards,

I don't know if this is particularily relevant for Australian conditions but here, I find an eastern exposure to be the most desirable orientation especially in the summertime. Early in the day before the ground is really warms up, the sun will have already passed overhead. Some of the other airport tenants with their hangar doors facing West covet my much cooler hangar environs especially in late afternoon when the sun is shining right inside theirs! As a bonus, in the wintertime the snow tends to melt away from the hangar door earlier in the day too.

I agree 100% with Rick on facing the hangar door east or even north-east....west-facing hangars around here are ovens when working in the evenings....although here in Houston, I can't comment on this "snow" phenomenon of which he speaks...;)

Paul

Cam Hartman said:
The only thing is we're down under in sunny Australia and would be looking for info relevant to this part of the world. Safe flying and happy building, Regards,

Other than the the screw threads turning the wrong way (like the water in the toilet) I cant think of anything.

You seem to be indicating that you will be using this as a building facility---------if so consider things like lighting, insulation, air lines, electric outlets, and dont forget the creature cumforts-------refrigerator, and bathroom.

Are you looking at a rectangular, or a "T" style??? If you have a choice, to with the rectangular if you can. You can build a nice shop area in the rear corner.

Good luck, Mike

Thanks for the info gents.

In answer to your question Mike a rectangular building will be most likely and there will be aeroplane construction taking place. Where to place things will require some planning and then re-planning and then re-re-planning, etc, etc, etc.......

The building's orientation will be very important Rick and thanks for your thoughts on this point. We won't be battling snow where we propose to build, however there are other environmental factors that will need to be considered.

If anyone else has ideas please keep them coming.

Thanks again,

Here's another request for info Ladies and Gents,

How about the placement of pneumatic lines and electrical powerpoints? We're considering overhead for electrical and probably 3 feet from the floor for the pneumatic.

Fixed and portable lighting too will be considered; flourescent and natural will be vitally important.

Now this one will seem a bit naive but what about floor finish? We have had conflicting opinions on polishing a concrete floor and leaving it that way as opposed to painting the finished product. To further complicate this some say paint the entire the workshop and hangar floor while others say leave it bare.

Finally there is the issue of accommodation and amenities (bedrooms, kitchen, bathroom & toilet) and while this would most often come down to personal preference are there any ideas that are such "stinkers" as to never be seriously considered?

Sorry for all the questions,and we appreciate the responses so far, but we really want to get this right so that when we start the kits we're not falling over each other because the workshop has been poorly laid out.

Best Wishes,

Last edited:
Cam, yes, definitely put in a bathroom if you can. Sink, toilet, shower.

I live in an airpark, the hanger is only 10 feet from the house, and I sure do appreciate that the previous owner put in a bathroom. It is not so much the short walk, but when working on the plane I tend to get a bit dirty at times, and it is nice to not have to worry about getting aluminum chips in the house.

As to bed room, kitchen ETC, I would if you can afford it, and fit these in. A bit of a hard thing to advise on, not knowing your budget and airports restrictions about such things. I have a buddy who lives in a two bedroom apt he built in a mezzanine over the rear of the hanger, with office and workshop underneath. Really big hanger, and tall.--------but what a sweet setup for a single guy airplane nut.

As to the lighting and air outlets, more is better. Put the lighting in multiple zones, each with its own switch. I dont like messing with a 50 foot long air hose, so I have air outlets every 20', and a 15' hose will get most any place I need. Overhead reels are really nice, but a lot of $$$$.

Floor----------something easy to clean. I made the mistake of laying the old carpet from the house in the hanger-----really nice to walk on, but dont ever drill/file/grind aluminum over a carpeted floor------you will be sorry.

Good luck, Mike

Last edited:
Several things I have learned from hanger construction over the years. If you are not restricted by building codes in your area I would stick frame the walls and use wood trusses for the ceiling. The stick frame walls make it much easier to insulate and hang an interior finish which can be sheetrock or metal sheeting. The wood truss ceilings can hava a dramatic effect on interior temps in both summer and winter by allowing you to insulate on top of the ceiling and have a ventilation space above to buffer you from the hot of summer and cold of winter.(use flat bottom trusses) The flat bottom truss also brings the ceiling down lower and you get more benefit from the lighting installed on the ceiling being closer to your work area. Use white or light colors to finish the inside spaces to help reflect the light and brighten the area up. Install radiant heat tubing in the concrete floor when you pour it and hook it up to a water heater for winter heat. You will like working on a warm floor.Install windows all around up high to prevent prying eyes. Even install in the hanger door if at all possible. Use a single swing door hinged at the top if possible. Much easier to seal the door when closed. Run your electric at a conveinient height above workbenches around all three walls and install outlets every 4-6', you will thank yourself later. If you build a bathroom in one corner put the radiant floor hot water heater in one corner of it to help keep bathroom warm from extreme low temps. Build a small enclosure to put the air compressor in that you can access easily. It is nice to not have to listen to the compressor running all the time. Just a few ideas! Tony

I like painted floors because a light color will reflect light on the bottom of the plane, If you paint the floor add a little sand to keep the floor from becoming too slick and slippery with a little dust on top. You will still be able to sweep it just fine.

Last edited:
G'day Mike and Tony,

Thanks for your suggestions and ideas; they are greatly appreciated.

Tony, I particularly like your suggestions re the air compressor and high-set windows.

Mike, your suggestion re the pneumatic lines is a good one as well; thanks.

Does anyone out there have photos of their hangar or workshop they would be kind enough to post? As the old saying goes, "a picture paints a thousand words".

Thanks again,

Cam Hartman said:
Hello RV Builders and Flyers,

Just wondering if anyone has put up their own hangar in recent times and if so would they mind passing any info they may have? Usual stuff would be greatly appreciated; materials, manufacturer, cost, time til completion, special features, workshop facilities, etc.

A mate of mine and I are about to get going with our RV8 tail-kits and are looking to build a hangar in the not-too-distant future so any info would be a great help.

The only thing is we're down under in sunny Australia and would be looking for info relevant to this part of the world.

Safe flying and happy building,

Regards,

Hi Cam, This probably doesn't help you at all, but there was/is a guy on the west side of Atlanta, Georgia making "portable" hangers. I think it was about $10000.00 American. I think I found him on a Google search under portable hangers. Hope this helps. Don

I've built several hangars.

All steel, insulated, in Texas (similar environment). NO big doors facing afternoon sun. Most things have been covered. I have to disagree about the single hinged overhead door. I've always used a bi-fold. The problem I have with a single, top hinged door is that you must always check outside before opening it. You cannot park anything close and still open it. Bi-fold doors seal very well at the center because of the sheeting overlap.
Just my $.02 worth.

Last edited:
Hello Mel,

Thanks for your comments concerning hangar doors; you've raised a couple of very interesting points .

Thanks to everyone who replied too, any suggestion big or small is always greatly appreciated,

Happy building and safe flying,