AlexPeterson

Well Known Member
Greetings,

As I've learned is necessary, one must inspect the FAB plate regularly for cracks, since there seem to be only two types of these plates - those that have been replaced and those that will be... No cracks on mine this time, although I'm on the 3rd or 4th one now at 1400 hours.

Apparently, sand from the nose gear finds its way up the fairing, and promptly gets blown (with vigor!) against the top aft end of the FAB plate.

sandblasting%2520on%2520airbox%252020140315%2520n66ap.jpg

Wow, that's really interesting! My first thought is wondering how much paint is left on the face of the prop blades :)

I can't quite picture the flow that causes the results shown in your picture. Any evidence of similar abrasion on the fiberglass portion of the air box?

My guess is that the nose wheel picks up sand and deposits it in the wheel fairing as I taxi in and out. There is often a little pile of it under the wheel fairing opening in the hangar. Airborne slip stream is what motivates it up the gear fairing. Then some mysterious airflow in the cowl smites it into the FAB plate.

The prop leading edges do get a little dulled, but that is simply part of winter flying. I take some Scotchbrite to them to shine them back up.

My technique to minimize the sand blasting is to take off towards the side of the runway, and to advance the throttle very slowly.