aerhed

Well Known Member
Geek call: What (if any) are the most practical and economical methods of connecting to the web while flying?

The only practical alternative I'm aware of is to use a satellite phone and connect to it with a wifi hub. Iridium has such a setup. I've heard that you can get decent speeds for text based usage such as email, but if what you're looking for some sort of broadband, pretty much forget about it. Aircell/Gogo sells this to the airlines, but it is extremely expensive.

There are some here that have installed amps and antennas that allow them to get cellular access way up high.

I thought about using one of the car based installation products that are designed to give your entire car WiFi based access and has a router and antenna for installation. Thought about trying to repurpose as an airborne platform.

Cellular base station antennas are directional and broadcast most of their energy below the horizon. Furthermore, if a cellphone can reach too many cells (as it can when it's airborne), this confuses the network because too many tower hand-offs will be attempted. Probably for that reason, I believe it's against FCC regulations to operate a cellphone from an aircraft.

- John

That's what I was afraid of. So, maybe not practical to do a low pass down Mayberry's main street and pick off wireless from the Best Western?

There are two companies, GoGo Internet and Row 44, that most airlines are using to provide airplane WiFi service. GoGo Internet uses a ground based cellular data network for data communications and Row 44 uses satellite communications. (Pulling this straight off http://wlanbook.com/how-does-airplane-wifi-work/).

Not certain if these companies' carriers sell service at retail; however am guessing that they do business with the bizjet crowd. So, like everything else, apply enough $$$ and you might be in business.

Cellular base station antennas are directional and broadcast most of their energy below the horizon. Furthermore, if a cellphone can reach too many cells (as it can when it's airborne), this confuses the network because too many tower hand-offs will be attempted. Probably for that reason, I believe it's against FCC regulations to operate a cellphone from an aircraft.

- John

That's correct. But the aircell network broadcasts the signal in the opposite plane. Also, to allow the use of cellular base systems they approve it above 10,000 feet. Like most FCC rules that means 10,001 and not 10,000 - so don't use it until above or you will go to FCC jail....just like using your cell phone at lower altitudes :rolleyes:

I flew from Vancouver, BC to Calgary, AB a year ago and didn't have any reception problems at altitudes as high as 10000' ASL. I wasn't watching every second of the flight, but my iPhone kept receiving emails/texts/etc. enroute. I suspect some of the mountains have repeaters near the summits, and the ground was as close as 1000' below at times, so the range isn't that impressive. But we did fly a mostly direct route, which wasn't always over built-up areas.

Oh, and of course, in Canada this is all legal, because the FCC's arms don't seem to be able to reach across the border...

That's correct. But the aircell network broadcasts the signal in the opposite plane. Also, to allow the use of cellular base systems they approve it above 10,000 feet. Like most FCC rules that means 10,001 and not 10,000 - so don't use it until above or you will go to FCC jail....just like using your cell phone at lower altitudes :rolleyes:

Do you have a link with the FCC rules that this is in? after searching around I can't find anything.

I did find this.
The FAA has issued guidance to airlines letting passengers turn on most PEDs after the plane reaches 10,000 feet. At a lower altitude, any potential interference could be more of a safety hazard as the cockpit crew focuses on critical arrival and departure duties.
But thats for airlines with passengers. So I don't think that applies. plus it was put out by the FAA not the FCC.

EDIT.. did find this... but can't validate the source.

Sec. 22.925 Prohibition on airborne operation of cellular telephones.

Cellular telephones installed in or carried aboard airplanes,
balloons or any other type of aircraft must not be operated while such
aircraft are airborne (not touching the ground). When any aircraft
leaves the ground, all cellular telephones on board that aircraft must
be turned off. The following notice must be posted on or near each
cellular telephone installed in any aircraft:
``The use of cellular telephones while this aircraft is airborne is
prohibited by FCC rules, and the violation of this rule could result in
suspension of service and/or a fine. The use of cellular telephones
while this aircraft is on the ground is subject to FAA regulations.''

the other thing to keep in mind, is we always place DOWN tilts on the antennas we put up.

I have a friend who has tested Don's antenna and the amp and said it didn't work at higher altitudes. Cell tower antennas are very directional and are oriented below the horizon.

Loopfuzz - Sorry, I don't have any link to this, just an explanation.

Below is an excerpt from someone else who wrote on this subject - I thought it made sense from what I know about the Aircell system.

"To understand why you have the 10,000ft limitation, you have to go back
to the days when AirCell first came on the market.

The original concept was that there was an existing network of cell towers across the U.S. Those towers were vertically polarized, which means that the radio signals were transmitted horizontally. The inventers of AirCell found that they could mount horizontally polarized (vertically transmitting) antennas on top of the existing cell towers without causing interference with the ground based cell service.

A long legal battle which included hours of testing ensued. The end result was that AirCell was able to prove their theory and was granted FCC rights to transmit vertically. Of course the next steps included making binding business agreements with the cell tower's owners. These agreements, obvious, had to include language that would provide assurance that there would not be interference with ground cell ops, but also that there would not be competitive services offered.

That's the background. This is why the FMS or altimeter must validate
that the aircraft is above (I'll come back to word "above" later) 10,000 ft
. You can see why a gear up switch would not meet that requirement. This
ensures that the transmissions are taking place on the horizontally polarized antennas and not on the vertically polarized antennas. If you check your documentation closely, you'll see that the connection level is listed at above 10,000, not at 10,000 feet. While it is true that the system will connect "at" 10,000 feet, the assumption is that the aircraft will be in a climb condition at the time of acquisition. Also, keeping in mind the tolerance of the altimeter accuracy, it is imperative that there be a small window to ensure that the 10,000 feet limit is reached."

I recently flew over Klamath Falls Airport at FL230 and was able to pickup 3G service long enough to receive a couple emails on my iPad and make a phone call on my iPhone. It only lasted about 3 minutes, but it worked. I can usually keep service when cruising at 10,000 in populated areas or over interstates. It's not reliable internet by any means, but certainly sufficient to update weather periodically.