Often times engine parts (cases, crank shafts, connecting rods, etc) that get red tagged (uncertifyable) by companies that overhaul them, find there way to the airboat engine builders. They may be just barely out of spec. or then again there may be a hairline suface crack in a crank journal that was just a little deeper than the maximum allowed grinding depth could remove.
Airboat guys have no problem with using them because if it fails all they need to do is get towed home.
I know of numerous instances where people were able to get $300-400 for there unairworthy crankshaft to apply towards a replacement with the buyer being an airboat engine shop.

I personally would not want to take that kind of chance...

Don't go there

I found a carb for my O-290-D2 from an airboat builder in FL. Paid what amounted to a core charge for the thing. The guy said it was overhauled to airboat spec's.

I sent it out to be "yellow tagged" and sure enough, it had the old type composit float, and some other things that just weren't right for an airplane.

Truth is, the carb was still a good deal but I don't think I would buy an airboat engine and expect to fly it w/o an overhaul and don't forget, engine overhauls can become VERY costly if there are out spec parts inside.

Buyer beware. When an airboat engine quits they coast to a stop. All they have to worry about it getting a tow back to the launch and maybe beating some alligators away (I'm sure many air-boaters carry guns in the everglades). I think sometimes they may buy a good "flyable" core in auction or salvage and try to sell it to us airplane guys, who are willing to pay more for it. I would only consider it if it had all the logs aircraft logs, dialed the crank, and did a basic compression test and or bore scope. I find if its that cherry they want a mint for it. Its a source but be careful.

Last edited:
I just lost the an engine I had my eye on to an airboat guy. A nice O-540 260HP (Cherokee 6) first-run, no prop strike, full logs. THe guy got it for $2000, and will probably try to sell it for 9K+, just like I would have... if it doesn't have logs, I wouldn't touch anything from an airboat guy though, believe me, these guys know lycomings better than we do, and they know what the good ones are worth. There are most likely very few deals to be had going this route.

Few years back, some air boat folks (presumably) were acquiring nice aircraft engines from parked planes with cutting torches. Kind of a "firewall-forward kit" for their boats. Maybe they're selling a few to other aircraft builders/owners as well!

What about those air force trainers

You all heard of the US air force chopping up all those two seat composite trainers they used at the academy in colorado. The plane was a side by two seat low wing trike bubble canopy powered by Lyc 540's. Well a few crashed and they decided to chop them up in the last year. I wounder what they did with the avionics and engines? There is on on eBay right now with a 4 cylinder. They where made in England and came with 320's and 360's as well.

gmcjetpilot said:
You all heard of the US air force chopping up all those two seat composite trainers they used at the academy in colorado. The plane was a side by two seat low wing trike bubble canopy powered by Lyc 540's. Well a few crashed and they decided to chop them up in the last year. I wounder what they did with the avionics and engines? There is on on eBay right now with a 4 cylinder. They where made in England and came with 320's and 360's as well.
They plasma torched the -540 engines on the USAF planes. Crushed the avionics too I believe... thank a lawyer.