humptybump

Well Known Member
I just completed my first real cross country flight in 16 years. In that time I've flown small amounts of time but all local flights with rentalscand often in Cubs. To say my radio skills were rusty would be very accurate. As much as I was nervous about being on the radio, I had already vowed to use flight following.

All of the controllers along the 1000 mile route were great. There were three incidents wherevthey showed they skill and patients:

Wrong frequency - they said 120.07 I had not realized it was short for 120.075 so I thought I needed 120.7. I was con the wrong frequency for quite a few minutes trying to figure out what I did wrong. When I toggles back, the controller asked a Barron to relay a radio call. I was already figuring out how to get the radio on to 120.075 when I acknowledged the relay and the controller was say once I was on frequency.

One way comm - one segment of the flight traversed an MOA and I was passed from a Center controller to the military controller for about 20 minutes. For some reason, I heard the controller fine but he did not here me. He simply asked me to "ident" his instructions. A smart alternative and kept everything moving along.

Talking too fast - I was changing frequency regularly. In many cases, I had three different frequencies with the same center. On once instruction I fumbled during the read back and then I was not sure I even knew what was said so I asked for the info again. The controller must have caught on to my "rust" when he quickly transitioned to a very clear digit by digit instruction. Without a beat, he was right back to firing off instructions to all the other craft on frequency.

As nervous as I was to work the radio for flight following, it really only too a small amount of pre-planning to get over myself. I found several websites with write ups of initial call-up and various instructions. I also found the names of my "entry points" into the system (I was launching from uncontrolled airports so it varried between using approach controllers and Centers).

Another hint - if you are not comfortable on the radio, your BFR is another opportunity to get back on the air.

More info..

Hi Glen,

Great post, I expect to use flight following for the first time this summer. Can you please tell me the sites you found that had the info you mentioned in your post?

Thanks,

I found a great book that covered all of my com questions. "THE PILOT'S RADIO COMMUNICATIONS HANDBOOK", 5th edition, by Paul E. Illman.

It is about 250 pages, available from ACS or Sporties, kind of expensive at $35 but it was worth it for me.

VFR Flight Following

I use flight following on all of my cross country flights, and my first call for flight following is always: "XXXX Center (or Approach), RV Eight Papa Victor, VFR request". They might be busy and not even take me so I keep it short and simple without a full call sign.

99.9% of the time I hear back: "RV 8PV, say request" and thus it begins; who are you (full call sign, experimental RV-6/U), where are you (includes altitude with level/climbing/descending) and what do you want (flight following, landing XXX). Practice makes perfect.

Tuppergal and I are leaving for the Bahamas via Indianapolis on 21 May so be sure to say hi if you see us on the ramp somewhere :D Rosie

Paul_and_Victoria.jpg

Last edited:
You already paid for flight following.

Ever year, around tax time, I consider where my taxes go and this is one area I really appreciate...and always use flight following on cross-countries.

Best,

Glad to hear it worked for you, Glen. Flight following is very helpful but never let your guard down. I flying flying VFR using flight following near Miami once and nearly splattered myself into another airplane (at the exact same altitude, crossing 90 degrees to my path) because I didn't notice him until we were very close and the controller forgot about me.

Glen,

As a new instrument pilot, I was told by my instructor to simply let the controllers know that I was a student pilot. I was also introduced to this radio call: " I am from the South and I copy like I talk......real slow". I think that you now qualify for that call as you are in Virginia. I have always found controllers to be supportive and helpful, especially when pilots don't feel compelled to let their ego's get in the way.:)

Glad to hear it worked for you, Glen. Flight following is very helpful but never let your guard down. I flying flying VFR using flight following near Miami once and nearly splattered myself into another airplane (at the exact same altitude, crossing 90 degrees to my path) because I didn't notice him until we were very close and the controller forgot about me.

According to the regs (since we have been talking about FARs, and about following them ad-nauseum recently). you, the pilot, are ultimately responsible for see-and-avoid EVEN if you are on a IFR flight plan. (talking about covering your a$#)

In other words, look out the window, at all times... by not doing so you might run the risk of violating a far and to get reported by a fellow aviator ;)

sorry "I must have bypassed my good taste chip.." (Kryten, Red Dwarf)

seriously
I have been in the flying training business for a while trying to teach europeans from around the mediteranean how to fly fast jets and talk at the same time. I have never found a controller that was not willing to go out of his/her way to get the message across to a completely task saturated student that hardly speaks any english. Even when flying through the DFW airspace where there is often not even a 1 second pause between radio x-missions they are willing to help, and if they were not then that was always completely valid (emergencies, wx diversions etc etc). Just dont show up with an attitude and they will even come up and pour you some coffee if they could.

these controllers are worth their weight in gold...

remember... think-press-talk and when the brain farts release the button..
write what you have to say down first and then read it of our pad.

"always sound cool on the radio, and never f^$k up taxiing"

Last edited:
flight following

I agree flight following is great, in fact I never go more that one airport away without it. If I can't get it (rare) I feel naked :rolleyes:

One thing I learned a long time ago is to use your knee board and record every frequency they give you. That way when to switch to the wrong one and put in another one into the standby side, thus loosing your last frequency, you can look at your notes (when no one answers) to see what frequency you are supposed to be on :eek: Ask me how I know.

" I am from the South and I copy like I talk......real slow"

I'll admit a few of my radio opps were a bit rough but afte 5+ hours and a lot of hand offs, it was getting much easier. It was handy having that trusty old knee board :)

My whole reason for flight following wad primarily for "in case something happened". I wanted to already be in the system and have a contact on the radio. It was refreshing performing all the VFR tasks of checking my location, cross-referencing the charts, matching to points on the ground and then confirming available airports. Even with a broken layer that was about 5/8ths at times, it was pretty easy to keep up with my options. Of course, altitude makes a difference!

I had a few addition safety checks - I had APRS on board; a person at each end tracking my position; each contact with a record of my fuel stop, ETAs, and contact info shared for all of us.

Last edited:
I Don't believe I have ever used flight following as such

It is probably a good thing for you to use flight following. When I fly through the TRSA at Palm Springs or something like that I give then a call because of dense traffic concerns but when I fly VFR I like the peace and quiet and freedom of not talking to anybody and never ever use flight following - it's a personal thing. Perhaps it is a good way to stay proficient with the system but I file IFR flight plans to keep that edge.

Bob Axsom

I cannot say enough good things about controllers and flight following. They have saved me from several midairs down in Florida.

I have nothing but good things to say about flight following and the controllers. Even had a few ask about the RV on slow days?

I agree with the advice to write down the frequencies as given. I keep them in order and dial in the likely frequency in anticipation on the return trip.

Greg
Louisville KY
RV7 180 hours