Zero4Zulu

Well Known Member
Since I haven't flown my RV6A yet, I was wondering about slow flight.....we hear plenty about how fast these planes fly but I'm wondering how they feel when wanting to fly slow. Such as flying next to a slower plane like a Starduster Too doing 110 mph. or a J3 Cub doing it's best at 85? What is a comfortable slow speed for some local sight seeing or photo taking?

My shortwing Colt cruises at 105 mph. Slow it down to 80 and it feels as though you are really dragging the tail....because you are! So I'm wondering how will my 6 feel if I want to slower her down for a bit?

Well, slow, ha!

A lot depends on your setup. 100mph is a very typical pattern airspeed. In my 6, with CS prop, you feel like your dragging your butt a bit. A touch of flaps can help. If you have a fixed pitch prop, I am told it handles better at those speeds. I do not notice any loss of control feel unless I am quite a bit slower.

Transition training....

IMHO transition training will teach you a lot about the slow flight end of the RV speed envelope. In fact during TT, you will spend most of your time in the lower end of the airspeed range, getting the feel and handling ques from the airpalne as you learn it. (Anyone can bore holes in the sky at >170 KTS):rolleyes:

As Jon mentioned, ~100 mph is flap speed and a typical pattern entry speed. The short wing RV's (3,4,6,7,8) are quite stable in the pattern, anywhere from 75 mph to 120 mph, but the one tendancy they do have a lower speeds is to develop a sink rate if not stabilized with some power. Especially if using a constant speed prop. You will quickly learn that leaving a bit of power on helps manage that aspect of flight and stability.

I would not recommend to try to fly formation with some of the slower types of aircraft listed if not VERY experienced in formation flight. Things can get quite interesting in dis-similar aircraft in a hurry if the situation goes south. :eek:

My RV-6A, 180 hp, fixed pitch, presently in Phase I...

...and no wheel pants or fairings: WOT is 155kts, Stall is 55kts (indicated) clean at gross weight, no power.

That said, I find 80 kts quite comfortable, no personal or a/c issues at all (87 kts is the max flap deployment speed). I am still working on getting comfortable down into the 60's. Downwind, base, and final are at 70kts indicated.

Last edited:
I flew formation in my RV-6 with a J-3 Cub once. It was not difficult but I believe the engine did start heating up which limited the length of the formation flight. I used about half flaps.

The Cub pilot stuck one foot out and rested it on the tire. Wish I had a picture of that.

I typically fly the pattern at 70 kts. with 60kts across the fence (with full flaps).
BTW, I see no degrease in stall speed between 26* & 40* flap.

I routinely fly with friends that have Super Cubs. Cruising alongside those guys I burn about 3.5 GPH. For fun I'll go back to cruise speed and literally will do loops around them by pulling out 500 ft in front of them, pull up and on the top side of the loop, watch them pass underneath, then back down and end up right off their wingtip. Routinely get in/out of 1400ft strips with those guys.

When I chose the -8, one of the reasons was that I wanted to go fast. Now that I am flying, I have found that I like to go slow...go figure. I love flying with the engine pulled back to 1800 rpm and ghosting along quietly. If I ever popped for an ANR headset, I might enjoy going fast again...

Pattern numbers:
Downwind at 100
Base at 90
Final 85
Numbers 80

I am still working on landing her slowly, but the -8 seems to like faster wheel landings. The good news is that after over 100 landings on pavement, my tires still look new.

Formation probably means different things to people.

I would not recommend to try to fly formation with some of the slower types of aircraft listed if not VERY experienced in formation flight. Things can get quite interesting in dis-similar aircraft in a hurry if the situation goes south. :eek:

I agree with Joe (FFI -Flight Lead). I can only speak from a recent experience with this exact discussion. The example used was flying cubs in close trail. They dont have the throttle response to do it safely (according to a very well know RV and Cub guy who also holds a Wing Card. i.e. I trust what he is saying).

Your definition, or that used in FAR's, might vary but to me anything short of standards and procedures like FFI or FAST is a gaggle. Flying in close proximaty with others doesn't fit my definition, but it does'nt mean it can't and isn't done. I do it all the time, as a gaggle. (meaning there are no standards other than those you put upon yourself.)

If Bob wants to loop around his Cub buddies and is competent to do it safely, knock yourself out. If you want to fly with friends here and there, you can do it safely with your RV and a Cub. Get the slow flight transition training and practice your slow flight.

My standards for flying my 6 with a Cub would not represent much of a formation, and as already stated, my oil temps would dictate a pretty short session. Besides, I didn't build a 6 to go 100mph for very long.

2cents, Regards.

85 kts

I have absolutely no desire to fly slow. I use 85 kts as my target speed on final, adjust the vertical with slips, start pulling up the nose just before the runway threshold and seldom glance at the airspeed indicator after that but I don't think it gets below 65 kts much (could be slower in ground effect just before the tires touch the runway). I do not like to get in a situation where I have to depend on adding power on final. When I go slow the plane feels like a slug that would rather be on the ground.

Bob Axsom

Just been to a local airfield to refuel, then back to our (short strip). Both ends of the airspeed envelope explored:
1. WOT at 1250' QNH (1040mB!) / 0degC was 189KIAS (186KTAS)
2. Approach speed 60K-65K - at this speed it needs a burst of power to check the RoD in the flare - not a good normal technique but is necessary for short strips. Normal approach is 75K base, 70K final.

They can fly slowly e.g. in the circuit, but are hard work, and really like to be 100K+...

Andy
RV-8, XP-IO-360, BA Hartzell