RV10inOz

Well Known Member
Besides Oshkosh and Sun 'n' Fun, of all the regional or state based events which are the main ones, the best to go to not just to see a flying display but also commercial exhibitors?

I reckon there could be one a week :eek: But when and where is the challenge?

I go to as many as I can. They are all fun in different ways. Some of the best ones don't have any vendors, programs, or exhibits! Thomasville, LOE, Triple Tree, to name a few. I just got back from SERFI and it was great. Go to them all and see which ones you like. If there is pancake fly-in within 300nm I'm there! Sometimes the pancakes are cold and the bacon greasy, but you don't go for the food. Many times I will break ground early and watch the sunrise on my way there. You have to get there early, otherwise the lousy pancakes will be gone. There are few better ways to spend $100 of AVGAS!

Jerry Esquenazi
RV-8 N84JE

As Jerry said, go to as many as your schedule/wallet allows...I really like the small-medium sized events within 200 miles or so. Triple Tree has to be one of the best, and I hope it stays the way it is..minimal vendors, and lots of good old fly-in,story telling,camping, and aviation fun.

Of course,, any fly-in event is fun, and we should go to them all - but read David's question again - he is looking for fly-in events with Commercial Vendors.

I just got back from CopperState, and they had about as many as I have seen at any event David. Very few others have that kind of representation - or any vendors at all. The old Regionals (SWRFI, etc) are dead.

The old Regionals (SWRFI, etc) are dead.

Paul,
I know the question was about vendors, but all of the old Regionals aren't dead yet. There were over 500 planes at SERFI this past weekend, and while there weren't any vendors, I assure you a good time was had by all.

I've never been to Copperstate but it sounds like it's on a level with Sun N Fun as far as vendors go.

My $.02 worth

Paul,
I know the question was about vendors, but all of the old Regionals aren't dead yet. There were over 500 planes at SERFI this past weekend, and while there weren't any vendors, I assure you a good time was had by all.

I've never been to Copperstate but it sounds like it's on a level with Sun N Fun as far as vendors go.

My $.02 worth

Oh, I am not discounting the fly-in aspects of the surviving events - they are great - I was too brief in my reply - I was referring to the attendance by vendors. There are very few events that they attend, unless they are in their back yard. A pure guess at why Copperstate still attracts vendors is that they serve the Southwest, and OSH and SnF are a LONG way from the southwest - a lot of folks don't make the slog to the midwest or Florida.

I guess I just didn't read well enough!! I've spent my whole life in the Midwest and SE and never thought about going to a fly-in just for the vendors. It always seemed like either OSH or Sun N Fun was right around the corner, time wise!!!

Sounds to me from all the reviews, that Copperstate is at least as good as Sun N Fun if not better. I'll have to try to make it next year.

Farnborough

on a non-public day

in one of the flight line suites

best airshow I've ever been to :)

Paul did hit the nail on the head, I am interested in what other events are "great events" besides Oshkosh and Sun n Fun, and now that I think about it, they do not necessarily have to be full of exhibitors I guess. So the Arlington Fly in in Washington is a good example I suppose of the kind of events I am looking for.

Just so it makes sense, I love travelling the great US of A, and I am responsible for Ausfly in Australia ( www.ausfly.com.au ), so if I can tie up some good events in the USA while on holidays (or for work) and visit some of your best events, I can enjoy them and learn from them as well.

So keep the suggestions coming on who/where, why and when. :)

Anyone else have suggestions?

Going to them all sounds fun....but who where when is "them all" ? Remember I do not know the local scene like you guys do.

A buddy and I just went to Copperstate for the first time. The trip was specifically made solely to meet and talk with several vendors. Compared to SnF and Osh, it was a godsend in that regard. We had all the time in the world to get our questions thoroughly answered and explore various options. That level of one-on-one just isn't possible at the big shows where the major hardware vendors are always buried six people deep. Our mission was an unqualified success.