scsmith

Well Known Member
I've made reference a couple of times to putting a couple of scavange holes in the turtledeck to allow cabin air to vent into the tailcone. I thought I had posted a picture before, but when I looked, I couldn't find it. So here's the picture:

100_2774a.JPG

The idea here is that vent air (heated or fresh air) can't come into the cabin very well if there is no easy passage for the air to get out. Also, there is high pressure along the back edge of the canopy skirt that makes a draft under the skirt and into the cabin - so that also makes it hard for air to come in through the heater tube and fill the cabin.

These two 1" holes are just aft of the rear baggage bulkhead, (F808? I forget) so that air can pass from the area around the canopy skirt into the tail cone. When the canopy is closed, the holes are not visible because they are just under the skirt.

Air then exits the airplane through the elevator horn opening in the rear deck, and out around the elevator and rudder hinge coves. Some air also exits through the rudder cable holes.

How does it work? Well, there is still some draft in the back seat, although it is much less than others. And the back seater seems to feel plenty of cabin heat making its way aft through the cabin. I think the next step would be to provide a better outlet in the aft tailcone to let more air exit the airplane.

Someone else (sorry I can't remember who) posted some pictures of a system with a fiberglass plenum around the interior side of the scavange holes, feeding a scat tube that went to a fiberglass outlet in the bottom of the fuselage. EDIT: here is a link to that work:

http://bidasst.bizland.com/heatvent.htm

The vent discussion is a little ways down on the page, after the heater box. Sorry I don't see the fellow's name anywhere on the page.

In re-reading the previous thread on this subject, about a year ago, there were lots of bits of info presented with various pieces of the puzzle. Paul Dye and a couple of others tried flying with an inspection port or other vents open in the baggage shelf, and with the rear seatback pulled forward. This obviously would allow much more air out of the cabin than my little 1" holes. But it didn't seem to help. However, there is still the problem of getting the air out of the tail cone. Several folks mentioned various exit vents on gliders, and there were a couple of pictures of NACA vents installed backward in the elevator horn inspection covers on an RV-8. So those would do a great job of letting the air out as long as the air can get from the cabin to the tail cone.

It seems like not many have put together the full combination of getting the air from the cabin to the tail cone AND letting the air out of the tail cone. The link above to the fellow that did this seems to be one that has.

So, again, I'm thinking that the next step would be to provide a better outlet in the aft tailcone to let more air exit the airplane. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Here's what I believe regarding airflow into and out of the cockpit on *most* RV's:

The *big* low pressure area on the airframe is the upper surface of the wing. At the wing/fuselage join, the fuselage sides and canopy skirts are in or near this low pressure area. That's where air exits most of our aircraft - the low pressure area pulls the skirts out and air vents through the gap which is created between the skirt and fuselage. The air that whistles in through the aft skirts is simply coming from an area with higher pressure than at the canopy side skirts. The pressure in that location is probably ambient pressure or slightly lower, but not nearly as low as above the wing and at the wing/fuse join.

So, I think what you'll find is that the holes you've drilled simply free up more air to exhaust out the side skirts.

I believe that if you want to minimize those drafts, find a really effective way to stiffen/seal the side skirts.

low and high pressure areas

Hi Kyle,

At cruise conditions, the low pressure region on the side of the body associated with the wing flow is gone by the height of the canopy skirt. I know this both from direct CFD simulations on the RV-8, and from general professional experience. The pressure along the side edges of the canopy skirt is just a little bit below free-stream (ambient) pressure.
When I fly, I can inspect those edges and I promise you the felt seal and canopy skirt is in full contact with the fuselage skin. You may be right though that absent any other air outlets, some air probably does vent along the side edges.

The RV-8 canopy in particular produces significant "pressure recovery" and the pressure along the back edge is significantly positive compared to ambient. So, it is going to want to come into the cabin unless the cabin pressure is higher still (which is possible with all the vents open).

My canopy skirt is a fair bit stiffer than stock, primarily in the back, where I molded my own and it is 3 plys of glass, then a thin microballoon core, followed by 3 more plys of glass, forming a sandwich.

A few posters on the old thread on this subject asked about aileron pushrod boots. The answer is yes, I have boots on the aileron pushrods, and on the flex hose coming in through the body side for the underwing air vent. I also have foam packed around the spar openings.

Last edited:
Hi Kyle,

At cruise conditions, the low pressure region on the side of the body associated with the wing flow is gone by the height of the canopy skirt. I know this both from direct CFD simulations on the RV-8, and from general professional experience. The pressure along the side edges of the canopy skirt is just a little bit below free-stream (ambient) pressure.
When I fly, I can inspect those edges and I promise you the felt seal and canopy skirt is in full contact with the fuselage skin. You may be right though that absent any other air outlets, some air probably does vent along the side edges.

The RV-8 canopy in particular produces significant "pressure recovery" and the pressure along the back edge is significantly positive compared to ambient. So, it is going to want to come into the cabin unless the cabin pressure is higher still (which is possible with all the vents open).

Steve, have you put a manometer inside your canopy and plumbed to the static system? I still believe the relative pressures are in this order:

Ambient > Turtledeck > Cabin > Over-wing