rwarre

Well Known Member
Going from Western Kanssas to Centennial in Denver, 7A, moderate turbulence, and able to handle the bumps. Twenty miles from Denver, I guess I hit an air pocket or a huge gust. My head hit the canopy, everything in the plane was thrown everywhere, And Ibumped my leg against the bottom of the panel. Lost about seven humdred feet and bank angle went to about 45 degrees. Pulled the power back gained control and climbed back to altitude. This all happened in about 10 seconds. Now I believe in the 5 point belt system and will always be wearing my crotch strap.

Randy, that's one downside....

...of any fast airplane. On more than one occasion, usually after cold frontal passage, the air was so rough, I couldn't run faster than 150-160 MPH, or I'd suffer 3-4G hits up and down. Made me appreciate the 6G wings though.

Best,

Must have been rough all over the northwest yesterday. I flew my friend's N3N to an airshow in Ontario, Or. It was rough Friday afternoon going over and really rough coming back yesterday afternoon. In my RV it would have been slow it down and hang on. But the old N just kinda bobbles along. Don

Are you sure it wasn't wake turbulence? Isolated bumps that are out of context often are. Of course it certainly could have been a significant shear due to the high terrain to the west.

My best bet is that you wandered into the wake of a 757 or 767 on it's way into Denver.