DRBuilder

Well Known Member
Does anyone have the Air/Oil Seperator sold by Van's (Slime Fighter?) installed on their RV? It would be great to hear some feedback prior to purchasing one. Thanks in advance!

My guess is that Van's isn't selling a lot of these air/oil seperators... :rolleyes:
So... let me rephrase that. Are there any recommendations out there for a good air/oil seperator?

Hi Dennis...

Depends on what you want it for ;)

If you keep your aircraft upright and just want to keep the belly clean, then such things are probably better than nothing. However, if you want to turn your aircraft into various attitudes, yet stop oil escaping onto the belly, it would probably fall short of ideal :(

If the latter, either go Inverted Oil System, or consider "Half Raven" as we have, and others, and shown here Link

Andy & Ellie Hill
RV-8 G-HILZ
RV8tors

I'm guessing

that as a Super 7, you are probably doing some aerobatics. Take a look at Paul Dye's system on JR---i bet it would work great for you.
Tom

Since Tom mentioned it, the "Half Raven" system is what i settled on for the RV-3 to keep the oil from ending up all over the belly. I really tried hard to convince myself that one of the air/oil separators would do the job, but pretty much knew all along that it wasn't going to cut it. the price of the Raven tank and sump fitting was not that far from what I was going to have to pay for a reasonably-sized separator, so I decided to do it right.

Raven was GREAT to work with BTW!

Paul