I installed the ASA separator about 180 hours ago and have been very pleased with it. My belly is dry as a bone.

I installed the ASA complete unit on our Rv10 around 75 hours ago. No oil on belly whatsoever, oil consumption dropped from 1 qt. every 10 hours to 1qt every 16 hours.

I just today installed an ASA seperator and the product looks nice. It took me a half a day of screwing around but happy with the install. :) I did not order the install kit and glad because the mounting location will vary on our firewalls. Mine went on the left side but if you knew the hose lengths in advance it would probably be ok. In my case the return hose would been way to short. Larry

Just Installed ASA Oil Separator

Just installed ASA oil separator and purge valve system today. Installation went as smoothly as Allen said it would EXCEPT for the pipe plug removal in the accessory case of the motor. Other than that, great product, easy install, looks killer. Oil drainback line 'could' have been about an inch longer but was still adequate for installation in suggested place next to brake reservoir. Thanks Allen for a reasonably priced solution to a p.i.a. problem. Can't wait to get my modified wheel, spacers, and balanced tire assembly.

One major problem with the ASA air-oil separator is that Allan designed it for his RV-9A, which has its battery in a non-standard location. Thus, his separator is designed to be installed directly above the battery on the right side of the firewall. This location will make future battery maintenance a challenge one side-by-side RV-7's and -9's.

My installation took 10 hours but after 7 hours of flying there is no oil on the belly.

There should be a full write-up in a future issue of KitPlanes so subscribe now.

Last edited:
I have the airwolf air oil separator the small one have it mounted high on the firewall and it has keep my belly clean

I know some do not recommend air oil separator but there are thousands of them flying with no issues.
Jack

Thanks to all who have replied.

Okay, I'm not awake yet and I have a dumb question about the "purge or vacuum valve" that comes as an option with the ASA separator. What does it attach to in order to pull a vacuum on the crankcase? :confused:

You drill a 5/8 hole in the exhaust pipe. Then clamp the outlet pipe to it. The angle of the cut in the path of escaping exhaust draws down the pressure in pulses. The valve makes it a one way process. Oil burns up as well, keeping the underside of the plane cleaner. I put it on for this reason alone. I won't waste my time in the HP debate. A clean plane is a thing of wonder. It is already fast enough.

You drill a 5/8 hole in the exhaust pipe. Then clamp the outlet pipe to it. The angle of the cut in the path of escaping exhaust draws down the pressure in pulses. The valve makes it a one way process. Oil burns up as well, keeping the underside of the plane cleaner. I put it on for this reason alone. I won't waste my time in the HP debate. A clean plane is a thing of wonder. It is already fast enough.

So the exhaust of the engine blow by is vented into the exhaust, the one way valve pulls a small vacuum.... got it.

Thanks! I'm awake now! ;)

Last edited:
I first tried it without the check valve hooked into the exhaust. While it helped considerably, there was still plenty of oil on the belly. It wasn't until I added the exhaust valve, did it really start to work.

I first tried it without the check valve hooked into the exhaust. While it helped considerably, there was still plenty of oil on the belly. It wasn't until I added the exhaust valve, did it really start to work.

Thanks Bill. That might have saved me a step. ;)

I have mine on the left side with the supplied oil return line. It is close, but is just long enough.