BruceP

Well Known Member
Attached is a picture of the air/oil separator I am mounting in my plane (not final positioning of separator yet). The usual aluminum tubing supplied in Van's FWF kit obviously doesn't work with this setup. Any thoughts as to whether this portion of the tubing must be aluminum or can it be some other material like rubber, etc.? If the aluminum tubing is preferred do you know anywhere I can get a straight piece with the flared end so I can bend it to fit?

IMG_0021.jpg

I don't see why a length of MIL-6000 hose wouldn't work as long as the bends didn't kink it. If you go that route, I would cut a 2-3 inch long slit in the hose on the top about 3-4 inches from the engine connection with a razor blade. The slit will stay closed during normal operation and not leak vapors but if the hose end should ice up and become blocked from the ice, the slit should open enough to relieve any excessive case pressure that could build up.
Good Luck,
Mahlon "The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

Personally I think you could live without the separator, it serves no useful purpose on a good engine.
Just my 2c