Radioflyer

Well Known Member
I found an induction leak at the air inlet port on one of my cylinders (o320-e2d). No way any gasket could have solved this leak because the lip on the inlet pipe was sitting too deeply in the recess of the clamp flange. I had to sand the flange on a flat surface just to level it with the level of the tube lip. I think I will now have a good mating of parts.
I'm assuming the lip on the inlet tube should be perfectly flat and 90 degrees to the longitudinal axis of the tube. Is this right or should that lip be slightly over bent beyond 90 degrees? If so, that would explain how it could have achieved proper contact with gasket and face of the cylinder port given the existing recess in the clamp flange. (In other words, someone may have over tightened the flange bolts causing the tube lip to flatten out.) Anyone care to comment on the normal relationship of these parts?

Wow. You had a lot of warping. I also had warping though not as much and in the opposite direction i.e., in the middle and side to side. I just can't understand or believe that these clamps are so crude. Maybe there is a difference between cold vs hot engine shapes??