redhawk

Well Known Member
I had a RV4 with a air fuel sensor gauge in it that worked wonders for precisely leaning the engine. It is no longer produced and was looking for recommendations of any good brand available that may be compatible with leaded avgas?
Thanks out there...

Hi RedHawk,

As far as I am aware, there are no oxygen sensors that are compatible with lead.

However; O2 sensors will work "for a while" in a leaded environment. I've heard of people locating them in cross-over pipes and significantly increasing their life. I have no facts to back to this up but believe the numbers that I've heard are something around ten hours up to as much as 25 hours. The wide-band sensors are far to expensive to replace that often but the single-wire sensors are almost cheap enough ($20-ish) to do that if you could get 25 hours out of them (ignoring that it would be a nuisance maintenance item).

I currently have 50+ hrs tach time on a LC-1 wide band o2 sensor from Innovate Motorsport and it's still working just fine. The replacement sensor will cost you @$80.

I am using Precision's Eagle EMS which is their silverhawk on steroids! It consists of dual electronic ignitions and electronic fuel injection. It's basically a mini fadec system without a prop controller, which is the way I like it!

The Eagles does not use the O2 sensor, but you can use one to verify the results and tweak your settings to achieve the desired results.

O2 sensor gauge

Hi all,
It took me all day but I finally found the one I had before at "Summit Racing".
It's a "Cyberdyne 7009" for $36, and uses a standard Bosch sensor that screws into a nut welded onto the exhaust.
This setup worked great in my RV4 for leaning my mixture, and never had any issues with leaded Avgas hurting its performance.
It's going on my RV8 !

Hi Guys,

From an information perspective how do you use the gauge and what indications are you looking for when you lean the engine?

Cheers