Ben Bruce

I'm New Here
Air Force One is scheduled to land at Elko Nevada Regional Airport tommorow, runway 23/5 is 150' x 7211' , elevation 5100 feet. How close is that to a 747 capablity (11000 fully loaded takeoff and fully loaded 6800 for landing are published numbers). I'm just building so am novice, especially about working around limits, RV guys seem to have a pretty good understanding of what can and can't be done, with most planes. I'd like to watch but can't be there. Are they sticking it out a bit? And do RV guys have a bit more experience with "marginal situations" than average private pilots? Building RV7A in Reno

Ben Bruce And do RV guys have a bit more experience with "marginal situations" than average private pilots? Building RV7A in Reno[/QUOTE said:
Probably not because the planes have so much performance. A plane that is underpowered is scarier than an RV in just about every situation that I can think of.

Best,

Ben Bruce said:
Air Force One is scheduled to land at Elko Nevada Regional Airport tommorow, runway 23/5 is 150' x 7211' , elevation 5100 feet. How close is that to a 747 capablity (11000 fully loaded takeoff and fully loaded 6800 for landing are published numbers)...
I would think that would be within the range of a 747, depending on loading. Do you know it is a 747? Air Force One, could be just about anything.

I think it is more interesting that Air Force One is landing at a non-tower controlled airport (recently changed).

I can hear the CTAF frequency. "Cessna 372 is 4 mile final for runway 23." "Air Force One is base for runway 23." Who is going to give?

Guess they'll just TFR the whole deal though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Air Force One is any Air Force plane that the President is flying on. He could be coming on on a smaller aircraft.

That is absolutely correct. Any Air Force plane that carries the President is designated Air Force One. There is a different designation for civillian planes when the President is aboard, Executive One.

Ben Bruce said:
http://www.elkodaily.com/articles/2006/11/01/news/local_news/news1.txt

The news story implies (at bottom) it will be the 747. I know the support aircraft destroyed the Las Cruces runway when th President was there, which if memory serves, was at least parr with (if not better) than Elko
Please let us know what the airplane turns out to be.

Oh, and if the president eats at Cattleman's, tell him not to order split pea soup and potato salad. The campaign would never recover!

6000' ought to be possible at MSL

Qantas flew a retired 747-300 into Longreach in the outback for Static display at their museum, a couple of years ago.
Longreach is where Q.A.N.T.A.S was founded.
The Longreach (YLRE), Elevation AMSL 627 ft, Rwy 04/22 6,352.'
But they don't intend to fly it out.

As a rough estimate B747-400 Vref (Approach) at 630,000lb is 148KT.
Therefore, at around 430,000lb (roughly empty and 15 ton fuel) Vref I reckon would be around 122KT.
125KT was max Vref for the DC-9 and 6000' was doddle for the -9, so the 747 ought to perform the same at the same Speed.
In the 747-400 simulator, I once wound in a good 60KT headwind and landed at the Toronto downtown airport; then reversed up and took off.
When it is light it will perform.
Pete.

Keep in mind as well that the 747 aircraft used by the president is, shall we say, "modified" somewhat. I remember them talking about his departure on the plane immediately after the 9-11 attacks, the pilots took it from runway directly to FL430 in 17 minutes. That's definitely not stock performance, even empty.

Usually the 747 will land at a large military base or airfield near by and the president will take a Gulfstream into the smaller fields. They were here (Savannah) Monday and that's what they did. The Gulfstream will then become Air Force One. And yes the President's plane is not a standard 747.

VC-25A

airguy said:
Keep in mind as well that the 747 aircraft used by the president is, shall we say, "modified" somewhat. I remember them talking about his departure on the plane immediately after the 9-11 attacks, the pilots took it from runway directly to FL430 in 17 minutes. That's definitely not stock performance, even empty.
Greg I can't confirm or deny that performance is special. I was working for Boeing when the current VC-25A, a B747-200B went out the door. It was actually pretty stock, except for the fact they where not making -200 passenger planes anymore at the time and it flew off green, to be be final fitted.

Building VA-25A in Everett Washington in the late 80's was a low key affair at Boeing, and there was no special attention brought to the plane on the production line. There are special systems which are not discussed, but performance wise not sure there is much extra there, except light weight and full power on later model GE CF6 engines. The B747SP (special performance) is the real hot rod of B747. Its was a real short B747 for long range flight. Not many where made, but they where really overpowered.

The engines are GE CF6-80C2B1, 56,700 pound thrust, each. That basic CF6 engine core can go from 40,000 to 72,000 lbs thrust. 56,700 lbs is more than the standard engines found on the original B747-200's, so its a little overpowered. With the lighter weight, bigger engines no doubt its a hot rod. Who knows it may have something special (top secret) that gives them more power than advertised to the general public?

When flying a large jet at light weights it's standard practice to de-rate the power up to 25%. For example taking off with an empty B757 with light fuel is ridiculous. The extream rate of ascent and pitch angle is too extreme, it makes leveling off at lower altitudes after departure difficult, unless negative G's are involved. If airline flying did light weight max power takeoffs it would be very uncomfortable for passengers. It's not something you normally get to do, max effort climb at light weights with no altitude restrictions. Most climbs from takeoff to cruise to the mid 30's involve several level offs, at least one or two. Sometimes in the middle of the night you get unrestricted climb to cruise altitude after takeoff.

Remember you have 2 or 4 engines and can fly at gross on 1/2 your engines. So light with full power is a ride.

The interesting thing was Boeing won the contract based on the -200 even though the B747-400 was being made. The reason is, the President's plane (only called Airforce one when the commander in chief is on board) must have had a number of years of proven service, which eliminated the -400 for consideration.

Its possible the president will be flying in C-32, the B757, VP's plane. That field is well within the B757 capability. If they go into the field with a B747 it will be light fuel. Do we tax payers have to pay for the Pres to thump on the campaign trail? Hummmm

Last edited:
gmcjetpilot said:
The engines are GE CF6-80C2B1, 56,700 pound thrust, each. That basic CF6 engine core can go from 40,000 to 72,000 lbs thrust. 56,700 lbs is more than the standard engines found on the original B747-200's, so its a little overpowered. With the lighter weight, bigger engines no doubt its a hot rod. Who knows it may have something special (top secret) that gives them more power than advertised to the general public?

They may or may not have adidtional power available, personally I'd be very surprised if it did not - but there is also the engine life to think about. The commercial airlines are going to fly the engines as if every dollar mattered (which it does) and not push the engines on a regular basis. If you are on Air Force One, knowing that the airplane is in impeccable condition and only has to do this for a handful of hours before you tear down the engines, yeah you can safely run everything to redline or a hair beyond. Just as in wartime, engines can be expendable if the mission demands it. During the 9/11 crisis I'm fairly sure an engine TBO of 25 hours would have been considered reasonable or at least acceptable by the Air Force. You can't do that all the time, but you have that ability there when it's needed.

I'm sure we taxpayers foot the bill

for the President's campaigning. Maybe he'll give us a break and fly a smaller jet. I remember years ago President Reagan flew into O'Hare and shuttled from there to various stops in a helicopter. The security was very tight; every airport within miles of the CIC was shut down while he was visiting.

gmcjetpilot said:
<snip> Do we tax payers have to pay for the Pres to thump on the campaign trail? Hummmm

I believe that when the Prez travels for non-official business the party gets billed but since we have a 'locked' 2 party system that acts like 1 party in many instances I'm sure that both the GOP and the Dems are very flexible on demanding that be done in practice cuz each knows the other will be called on it in the future. I often think that most of the signers of the Declaration of Independence would line out their name if they saw what their dream has become.

ymmv,

John

they did bring in the 747. Some awsome video on the local news of tumbleweeds and dirt blowing up behind the plane for the take off as wings seemed to be well over the runway edge.
The landing was made very nose high.
Ben

It's all about the security. You can't tell the president he's not allowed to travel from point A to point B. It also seems unreasonable to expect him to travel on Delta, for example, because that's what the campaign can afford. So what do you do? The pres and vice pres get to travel on special aircraft to wherever they want to go in the country, that's what you do.

This is one of those places where security trumps all and I'm sure we get to pay for every last, red cent.

edit: incidentally, I'm trying to find an official source for this. This is just from memory. Anyone have any idea where you could find such information?

Last edited:
It was the 747

Well... it was the 747 he arrived in.... control tower or no control tower.... :)

airforceone.jpg

gil in Tucson

Link to pictures

While reading past issues of an Arizona's EAA Chapters newsletters I found this. While it is old news to them it fits this post quite nicely. Here are shots of a retiring 747 landing on a 5000' runway that is 50' wide at 5500' altitude. Pretty amazing!!! To find them go to the November 2004 newletter and open it. Scroll down because there are several.

http://www.eaa538.org/

Best,

Bryan Wood said:
While reading past issues of an Arizona's EAA Chapters newsletters I found this. While it is old news to them it fits this post quite nicely. Here are shots of a retiring 747 landing on a 5000' runway that is 50' wide at 5500' altitude. Pretty amazing!!! To find them go to the November 2004 newletter and open it. Scroll down because there are several.

http://www.eaa538.org/

Best,

Now THAT was a landing! The runway edges are about 4 feet and change from the main gear and they had to deal with that hill in the background. I'd be smiling big too, and kissing the ground!