pierre smith

Well Known Member
Where can we find suppliers of the Air Force insignia decals? Also, how big are the circular area in the center where the star is? Search didn't turn up anything.

Brian's -4 is now in primer and body work, getting ready for paint.

Thanks,

DIY relative dimensions

Where can we find suppliers of the Air Force insignia decals? Also, how big are the circular area in the center where the star is? Search didn't turn up anything.

Brian's -4 is now in primer and body work, getting ready for paint.

Thanks,

Peirre.... I found the dimensions for the markings based on the radius of the inner circle in a model book.

It's a lttle too complicated to describe...:)

I'm not sure that there was a fixed (absolute) dimension for the markings, it really seems to vary looking at photos, even on the same type of aircraft.

Send me your e-mail address and I'll send you a scan.

Here's a link to the USAF T.O. (tech order) for aircraft paint. The National Insignia is covered on page 149-150 of the .pdf.

***EDIT***
OOOPS, forgot the link; here it is... AFTO 1-1-8

Last edited:
Screaming Eagle

Vince Frazier at Screaming Eagle graphics did outstanding work for me. Made the stars and bars in colors to match my reds and blues.

Stars and Bars

Pierre,
When you determine your circle size measure across it. The bars will be twice this dimension from the center point out each direction. The bar width will be a third of your circle dimension. Man that's hard to explain in writing.:confused:
I taped and painted mine on, take's a lot of time but very rewarding.
P8180010.JPG

P8180002.JPG

Easy, really....

.....Bill. So a 14" diameter circle means that the bars will be 28" long when measured from the center of the circle, for a total width of 56"?

Thanks, correct me if I'm wrong,

Last edited:
Not quite....

.....Bill. So a 14" diameter circle means that the bars will be 28" long when measured from the center of the circle, for a total width of 56"?

Thanks, correct me if I'm wrong,

..correct.... the bars are 1 radius long, but measured from the tip of the point of the star.... and the little 1/8 radius outer circle and outline comes into play. The overall dimension for a 14 inch diameter circle (outer points of the star) would actually be a bit less than 28 inches overall.

Pierre,

As I mentioned earlier, it's hard to describe.... send me your e-mail link and I'll send you the picture with relative dimensions on it....

Last edited: