Allan Stern

Well Known Member
:confused:The plans say to trim the front edge of the air cleaner so it will clear the intake scoop. But the instructions like always are a bit vague here. Do you put your cowling on and look? Or do you put the air cleaner plate on and the top piece and then put the cowling on to check or what is the general rule? I should say it is for a 0-360 carbureted lycoming engine. Thanks

Allan Stern RV 8A
baffles and aircleaner to finish

Trimming the air box

You need to trim the air box, not the air filter. If you mount the air box first you will not be able to install the lower cowl.

There should be a diagram (figure 9) with your air box kit that shows the approximate place where to trim the air box. "...Air box top plate must be aft of the scoop top to be able to lower the cowl straight down"

FYI, I ended up making a new mount plate to offset the air box to the right. The kit and directions as received resulted in very little clearance between the cowl and the edge of the air box. A few others have done this also.

Good luck.

Mike

What Mike said

I too had to make a new mounting plate as the FAB was too close to the cowl. Good luck

Randy