Steve Sampson

Well Known Member
I cant find my air filter instructions. How am I meant to get the dirt out of it, and what generic type of oil should it be oiled with? Also how much oil is enough?

K @ N makes special air filter oil..

...as do a few other manufacturers. Wash your filter with warm, soapy water, rinse and let it dry (blow dry?). A/C Spruce sells it for $6 but I'm sure motorcycle and 4 wheeler shops in Jolly Ol' England carry it in a spray can. Just a light squirt all over is enough, since it's tacky and catches dirt.

Regards,

...as do a few other manufacturers. Wash your filter with warm, soapy water, rinse and let it dry (blow dry?). A/C Spruce sells it for $6 but I'm sure motorcycle and 4 wheeler shops in Jolly Ol' England carry it in a spray can. Just a light squirt all over is enough, since it's tacky and catches dirt.

Regards,

Do not blow the filter out, it may tear the element. Purchase a second element. When it comes time to change it out, prep one prior to the switch. At your leisure, you can clean, and allow the removed filter to dry without rush. Keep it in a large zip-lock bag until it's time to prep it for the next filter change. Easy, peazy, fresh, and breezy! :D

Thanks for all the inputs.

I had better take a visit to a motorbike shop. (I guess I will need to get greasy hair, black leather and a few tatoos first. D.E.A.T.H. across my knuckles etc.)

Here in the UK there is not much dust, just a few bugs. I do wonder at what interval I would be over maintaining it? It looks very clean at just 70.

I do it at annual condition inspection time

Once I bought the cleaning kit and went through the process described by the manufacturer. Since then I just buy a new filter and install it. I never noticed a performance difference but I want the engine to have all the air it can get.

Bob Axsom

I bought the K&N kit and cleaned it today. (Thanks for that advice.)

I was stunned by just how much muck came out after just 70hrs.!