rwarre

Well Known Member
Looking for a deal on a good air compressor. Would like to know if anyone found a good used one for their rv project.

For $300 you can get a brand new 6.5 hp craftsman with a 35 gal tank and regulator- and if you don't need it today it goes on sale at least monthly with a $100 air tool kit thrown in for free. You won't beat that deal and you get a warranty.

Purchase a Big Compressor!

I originally purchased one of those cheap 35-gal. dry-pump compressors and had to get rid of it. My neighbors, wife, and my ears (despite wearing ear protection) screamed at the extremely loud sound when the compressor cycled. Also, any time I used a rotary-type tool (drill, grinder, etc.), the darn thing cycled all the time. My RV builder friends all said, "I told you so!" As always, they were right!

After 30 days of building agony, I sold the cheap compressor to an unsuspecting car guy and purchased the Sears top-of-the-line 80-gal. oil-pump compressor on sale. It does rumble when it cycles, but it's a lot quieter, much less annoying, and rarely cycles even with rotary tools. I think the 80-gal. compressor cost me $875 on sale, and it's the best investment I've made so far in my RV project!

If you want to save money, I think the 60-gal. oil-pump compressors are fine also. Sears usually has good buys on those, and you can often find refurbished used ones for a little less. Make doubly sure you purchase an oil-pump compressor, though. Stay away from the dry (loud) ones!

I would recommend purchasing a new (with warranty) Sears 60-gal. oil-type compressor on sale.

Take Care!

Bill Palmer

Size Matters...

The compressor you need depends on if you are going with a standard build kit or a quick build. For a quickbuild, I can see getting away with a very small compressor. I built my empennage with a 2.5 gallon 1.5 HP contractor compressor. Worked well for riveting, but when you are drilling, it ran continuously.

When I started my wings, I bought a 60 gallon Quincy 220V compressor (5 HP I think). I find this the perfect size for the standard built pathway. Check out Home Depot for their 60 gallon Husky brand compressor (Oiled). After doing a bunch of R&D, this was the compressor I was going to buy until I got hooked up with factory direct pricing in the Quincy.

I got my Ingersoll Rand from Tractor Supply for $560. It's oiled, single stage, 3 hp, 60 gal, 230V, and does 11.3 CFM @ 90 - plenty for what I do.

For $20 more, you can get the same compressor from Northern with free shipping.

bullojm1 said:
The compressor you need depends on if you are going with a standard build kit or a quick build. For a quickbuild, I can see getting away with a very small compressor. I built my empennage with a 2.5 gallon 1.5 HP contractor compressor. Worked well for riveting, but when you are drilling, it ran continuously.
I'll second that. I have a 6 gal, 1 Hp that I got for running a nailer, and it runs pretty much nonstop when drilling lots. It's fine for riveting.

Stay away from the dry pump Husky

I got a ~30 Gal (forget the exact size) dry pump Husky at HD and the piston broke in half six months into my build.

It looked like a great deal at around $250-300 (again it's been a while and I forgot exactly what I paid for it) at the time as it came with a bunch of tools (impact wrench, ratchet, grease gun, etc) but they are cheap chinese junk. The ratchet leaked enough air to be useless.

Luckily I bought the extended warranty and they comp'ed me a new one. When (not if) that breaks I'll either hopefully be done or I'll be in the market for a Craftsman 60+ Gal oiled pump.

Also, I couldn't agree more with the "size matters" comment. That sucker runs CONTINUOSLY when I use my die grinder - it's ok for squeezing rivets or light drilling. And it's freakin' loud - to the point where I have to constantly wear ear protection while in the garage.

size matters

High speed air tools such as air drills, die grinders, sanders, use about 13 CFM of air @90 psi. most true 5hp compressors can just keep ahead with continous use of these tools. Rivet guns, squeezers, nailers etc use only a burst of air so you can get away with a smaller compressor.

The suggestion about if your building slow or quick build is a good point. For example drilling the longerons on a fuse takes long enough. Waiting for a compressor to keep up would make this task take twice as long. Maybe more.

Buy the biggest sucker you can afford and have power for.

Husky Pro 60 Gal. at Home Depot - $399 - 20% gift certificate = $319. Offers CFM at 10-12 if I remember correctly. Overkill, but it sure looks good in the corner of the garage.

Chris