I did several searches but couldn't find the answer I needed...

I am about to start a RV-8 QB (already partially completed by another builder) and am trying to determine which air compressor I need for the project.

I will need an air compressor which is rated for 110v as I am going to be building most of it in the garage of my town home which only has 110v outlets. I can't install a 220v because I am renting the place (I may decide to anyway, but right now...).

Also, I will not be painting this project myself. The priming/painting I do do will be accomplished with spray cans or at the aviation company which employs me.

What sort of specs do I need in an air compressor for riveting, drilling, etc?

Thanks

J

A lot of outlets these days are #14 wire & 15 amp circuit breakers. I had a 110-120 Volt compressor that would tend to blow the breaker on startup, when the tank already had some air pressure. I ended up installing a smaller pulley on the motor.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

What specs do I need?

PSI/SCFM/Capacity?

In A&P school I always worked on shop air so I know next to nothing about what is required in an air compressor.

Thanks

PSI is not all that critical. Most all compressors go 125 psi or above. Most all your uses will be 90 and under.
CFM...all you can get.
Capacity...all you can get.
Don't buy based on hp. All of the hp ratings are exaggerated.
You won't get much over 1 (real) hp out of 120V. Do the math. You don't want direct drive. You will not be able to live with the noise.

Good choice!

I think I have the same Craftsman compressor. It works great. Besides running air tools I have painted with it as well. I also have one of the Home Depot Red compressors that sell for the same money. It can't hold a candle to the Craftsman compressor.

I have the one linked above as well...it's my FOURTH compressor, and this one is THE BEST!! Quiet, and plenty of pressure for everything...even runs the die grinder non-stop. Go for that one, you won't be disappointed...

:cool:

Depends

If you want to paint yourself AND can stand the noise (compressor in seperate room) then buy the biggest SEARs oil free compressor that will run on a 115 V supply.

Its called a 5.5HP...which is a complete joke but on a 20A breaker it is beig enough to run a 20 OZ HVLP spray gun.

Oil will ruin a spray job and at $300 is almost lest than a gallon of paint.

Had mine for the whole project and beyond...

If not required for painting buy an oil based machine.

Frank

I guess what'd I would say is go buy whatever your electrical system will handle, and whatever you do - DON'T buy an oil-less one!

At least that's my opinion. I hate very few things - but those oil-less compressors are high on my "extremely dislike" list!

Cheers,
Stein

Fair enough but why?

I guess what'd I would say is go buy whatever your electrical system will handle, and whatever you do - DON'T buy an oil-less one!

At least that's my opinion. I hate very few things - but those oil-less compressors are high on my "extremely dislike" list!

Cheers,
Stein

This all comes down to personal experience but a $300 compressor is almost a throw away item on an RV that you are going to paint.

Assuming you get a year's warranty, its reasonably reliable (mine has been perfect) and you can hide it away in a back room then why would you not buy one...Your going to use the snot out of it..if it burns up take it back and change it.

Just the comfort that you can't get any oil carryover on your paint is worth it for that reason alone..:)

Having said that..If I was not going to paint then yeah I would not have an oiless either.

Frank

Just the comfort that you can't get any oil carryover on your paint is worth it for that reason alone..:)

Having said that..If I was not going to paint then yeah I would not have an oiless either.

I didn't get oil in my paint; with a less noisy oiled compressor. :D

As I've worked in construction for 40 years; I've come to hate the sound of oil-less compressors too. It's just a high pitched "scream", that you can never get used too! :eek:

L.Adamson

Costco?

I've never seen anyone recommend buying a compressor from Costco. Below is a link for a Campbell Hausfeld compressor that is of similar size and performance. I realize the scfm is about 20% less at both 40 and 90 psi but the tank is a little larger.

The main reason I bring this up is Costco's return policy (excluding computers, cameras and TVs and some other electronics). No time limit as to when you can bring it back if it fails. You have to have all the manuals, accessory items and such along with your receipt but I have found them to be very easy to work with on returns.

Given the discussions of late concerning honoring of warranties and who is responsible (Home Depot & Lowes), the alternative of just bringing an item to a Costco store, dropping it off and getting your money back is too appealing.

Oh, and in this case, the compressor is about $90 less than the Sears model listed above (shipping included).

Realizing Costco isn't everywhere, the ability to buy "on-line" shouldn't preclude anyone from enjoying this liberal return policy. I'll admit in advance that I do have local access to Costco stores and have therefore, not had to deal with trying to ship items back for refund.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11226158&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US

No but

As I've worked in construction for 40 years; I've come to hate the sound of oil-less compressors too. It's just a high pitched "scream", that you can never get used too! :eek:

L.Adamson

Frank Stringham did and so have a lot of others I've spoke to...To me for $1500 in paint and LOTS of work, a throw away screamer is a way to avoid the risk.

Frank

Frank Stringham did and so have a lot of others I've spoke to...To me for $1500 in paint and LOTS of work, a throw away screamer is a way to avoid the risk.

Do any "thow away" screamers have large capacity tanks? Mine is a 60 gallon stand up type; and it really took that capacity to keep the paint gun flowing.
You could always add some additional tanks, but the compressor still needs to keep up.

L.Adamson

Oiless

I think mine was about a 30 gallon tank..and I found it kept up with the full size spray gun just fine.

Mine was the biggest SEARS 120V unit..they called it a 5.5HP model

Frank

RE:Filters

L.Adamson

Hi Larry

From the infamous Frank that got fish eyes.....Probably because of improper install of the filter system. What type of filter system did you use to eliminate the water/oil...

Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A...

Last edited:
Hi Larry

From the infamous Frank that got fish eyes.....Probably because of improper install of the filter system. What type of filter system did you use to eliminate the water/oil...

Just the filter/ water separators from Lowes. I also used a new air hose to eliminate contaminants that may have been in the everyday use hose. I'd drain the water filter, and blow air through the gun for a minute or so, before adding the paint.

All painting was done in the early summer months. And like St. George; Salt Lake City is on the low humidity side during the summer. Since the paint flashed at 80 degrees, I had to start getting up at 5:00 AM to shoot the paint. Half the paint is yellow, which could take up to six coats about 10 - 15 minutes apart. Yellow spray's on thinner, and doesn't cover well like gray, white, and black. In the end, you don't use any more paint, just more coats.

I didn't have any fish eyes. There is light orange peel, here and there, if you look close. Paint was Sherwin Williams Genesis.

Pic from Classic Aero's customer gallery, since my pic CPU is down at the moment.

http://www.classicaerodesigns.com/web/images/592-lrg.jpg

L.Adamson --- RV6A N328SL