WeezyRV12

Just uncrated my first kit , the tailcone. I have lots of woodworking experience but this is my first real time working with metals. I have been accumulating tools, building benches, etc. But could use some advise as to what kind of compressor would be ideal for the RV12 build. I am trying to save money where possible, but realize its not smart to buy the wrong product and later pay double to get it right, so if you have any good insights would really appreciate. Ideally I want to use normal wall current, and as quiet as possible as I am currently in a rental townhome. Seems like around $400 gets a roughly 30 gallon belt driven,oil unit at the larger retailers locally, around 5-6 cfm, is that enough to run the die grinder/ cut tools etc. I have a pancake oil free compressor for my nail guns but it is very noisy in a closed garage in the Chicago winter. Please share your knowledge/ experiences, Thanks. Weezy

For $427 you can't beat the 60 gallon Kobalt at Lowes. The only downsides to this unit are portability and the 220V requirement. I bought one a month ago and they took 10% off for it being a floor model (even though they all are floor units). I did plug it in to see how loud it is and volume was quite reasonable. I returned it as I got an excellent deal on a used industrial unit.

The lowes 110v ~30 gal unit for $400 also looks pretty good if 220v is out of the question. The Craftsman 1.8hp 25 gal horizontal tank is also quite popular: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00919541000P I haven't seen any 110v units that do any better than 6 cfm @ 90 psi but that should be enough for building a -12

Keep in mind that many websites like sears.com and homedepot.com do have user reviews that can sometimes be very helpful.

Since you are in the chicago area you might want to look into this unit: http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/tls/937086164.html In my research I found that it is identical to a "Puma" product and looked to be pretty good.

Capacity is not nearly as big a deal as you might think. Your biggest criteria are noise and 110volt. Belt drive is probably the best way to go. Check for used on like Craigslist or want-ads in paper. Compressors rarley "wear out"> they die from lack of use.

Air compressor

I use a little pancake unit. Runs the rivet puller just fine. I have a couple of air tools than run fine also for a short period of time - about as much as you would be using them anyway. I use it in a hangar so noise is not an issue.
My criteria is $400=33 cases of beer for a big compressor and that's a lot of beer denial just to avoid a little noise.
Bart

Air compressor

I'm with Bart; we've been using a twin cylinder 5 gallon compressor that works great that we got on sale at Home Depot for about $150.00. We turn it on, let it run to about 120#, then shut it off and and then turn it back on when it sounds like it doesn't want to pull rivets anymore. (We use it only on the rivet puller).
Meade and George

The real issue is will you be painting your own plane...then the cfm numbers will make a difference. Otherwise, like they say, if it will pull rivets you can get by with anything.

Pete
RV12
wings/fuse/tailcone next week (maybe?)

AIR COMPRESSOR size

I use an air die grinder with a scotchbrite wheel a lot. They use a lot of air. Paint guns and die grinders that use continuous air will require a larger compressor unit.

Likely just me, but I don't know how anyone gets along without an air compressor. If you do almost any projects outside your job perhaps, an air compressor is a MUST on my list.

John Bender
Iowa ( wating for tail kit - Fuse done ).

Might want to see if you can simply muffle the pancake compressor you already have.....build a foam lined plywood box, or intake baffles, or something.

found a compressor

found a used husky on CL for $150 its 26 gallons (oil free) 155psi tank.. but has 3 settings so its not too loud in a garage, renting with neighbors that complain till March the joys of divorce... It seems able to run the die grinder better than I expected. Thanks for the input.

only thing left is a 6 inch bench vise, open to any suggestions. ..Hopefully fed ex gets here tomorrow with my avery supplies......

I too have been looking for a 6" bench vice without spending $60-70. Please let me know what you find!

if you are close to Algonquin, there is a guy there with a 6 inch for $35 its $58 new at menards, pm me if you want his email address, it would cost me more in gas and time from Naperville. Gotta love CL