Juicegoose

Well Known Member
Thought It would be a good idea for those of you with air compressors and experience using them to share the info in a common place for those who are struggling with buying what they think is needed.
No stories needed keep it short and simple format as follows

1. Size and make of compressor(stating gallon capacity,HP, and cfm rating at 90 psi) Ex: Craftsman 60 gal, 3 HP, 12 cfm @ 90 psi

2. Voltage. 120-240volts

3. how much you paid (ballpark)

4. If you've had any trouble with the compressor.

Regarding air tools lets all put the most power hungry air tool you've used building your RV, the cfm requirements of the tool at 90 psi, how often it triggered your compressor,

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Husky Pro 60-Gallon, 3.2HP, 11.5/10.2 SCFM @ 40/90 PSI, oil, belt driven
2. 240 Volts
3. ~$250 (new, though I got a great deal)
4. No problems to date (knock on wood)

Even when running the airtools a lot, it only runs at most for 1-2 mins per half hour. Sometimes i can work for hours and it doesn't need to turn on, esp with a squeazer or something that requires less less volume of air.

American Compressor
5 hp, 2-stage, 80 gallon tank.
18 cfm @ 125 psi
Been running great since 1990.
Change oil annually.
Paid around $800 plus trade-in (worn out 3 hp single-stage)
It can keep up with any air tools, including painting.

1. Husky Pro 2hp, 30 gallon, 5.5 SCFM @ 90 PSI, oil-filled, belt-driven, portable
2. Initially wired for 120, converted to 240 (absolutely worth it)
3. $399
4. No problems at all.

Okay, call me cheap.

Husky 110v 1.5 hp generic compressor from Menards, plumbed to a 20 gal portable tank.

As far as CFM, not much. probably also 1.5. Still it runs a drill and rivet gun. Not great for a die-grinder, but I have a Dremmel tool for most of that.

Total investment $150.

No problems yet, though it has been making some sounds I haven't heard before.

Sears Craftsman

6hp 30 gal.
150psi max.
120v 15amp

8.6 scfm @ 40psi
6.4 scfm @ 90psi

Cost: $299.00

Going strong for 10 years.

Does fine for all air tools and even spraying epoxy primer. It is a vertical tank (space saving) and oil-less pump, so it is a bit noisy.

I have a 220v 30amp, 80gal, 7.5hp, Campbell Hausfield $799 at Lowes for spraying color and sand blasting.

I bought a compressor from Walmart. Put it outside the garage to cut down on noise. (I live in the country) Let it sit out in the rain for 7 years and it's still running.
Ran the hose and a heavy duty extension cord under the garage door.

Drug the hose wherever I needed it in the garage

Keep in mind:
1 - You're buiding an airplane - not the space shuttle.
2 - Spend your time and money on the airplane - not building/remodelling your shop/garage. This is temporary.
I did splurge on central ac and heat in the garage - comfort is important when you spend a lot of time out there.

You're welcome to visit my garage in Katy. I am now starting a re-build on the Stearman.

Regards,

Geoff

Craftsman 33 gal. Air Compressor, 1.6 hp, Horizontal Tank, 150 Max PSI
SCFM Delivery At 40 psi: 6.3 SCFM
SCFM Delivery At 90 psi: 4.9 SCFM

Stored outside in a bix "deck storage" plastic compartment, plumbed into the shop with several drops.

Works just fine for everything I've had to do so far, which is drilling, die grinder w/ polish wheels, occasional cutting w/ cut-off discs, priming w/ Akzo 2-part primer, etc.

Keep in mind:
1 - You're building an airplane - not the space shuttle.
2 - Spend your time and money on the airplane - not building/remodeling your shop/garage. This is temporary.
I did splurge on central ac and heat in the garage - comfort is important when you spend a lot of time out there.
Temporary huh?
Obviously this is your first airplane build.
I think I said something like that back in 1982.

Thought It would be a good idea for those of you with air compressors and experience using them to share the info in a common place for those who are struggling with buying what they think is needed.
No stories needed keep it short and simple format as follows

1. Size and make of compressor(stating gallon capacity,HP, and cfm rating at 90 psi) Ex: Craftsman 60 gal, 3 HP, 12 cfm @ 90 psi

2. Voltage. 120-240volts

3. how much you paid (ballpark)

4. If you've had any trouble with the compressor.

Regarding air tools lets all put the most power hungry air tool you've used building your RV, the cfm requirements of the tool at 90 psi, how often it triggered your compressor,

$ 399, 120V/240,heavy, fits in basement studio:),moderate noise, trouble free so far.

kompressor.jpg