jtrollin

Well Known Member
I went to lay my ailerons down to start riveting the outside ribs in place and noticed that it has a twist to it, my right aileron is fine, just my left. It has a 1/4 inch rise from one side to the other.

Is there anyway to fix this? Should I worry about fixing this??

Here is a picture of the gap I have between the trailing edge and my table.
If I put weight on the trailing edge the opposite leading edge pops up the same amount.
IMG_0084.jpg

John,
I am not an expert and not familiar with 10 but how are you measuring/judging the twist? Do you see straight line at the trailing edge?
If yes then your aileron has no twist.

Could be twisted table?

Last edited:
it rocks..

The aileron rocks from corner to corner (like a chair with a short leg). My other aileron sits perfectly flush with no rocking at all.

John,
I am not an expert and not familiar with 10 but how are you measuring/judging the twist? Do you see straight line at the trailing edge?

Could be twisted table?

This is wrong, Vlad...

John,
.... Do you see straight line at the trailing edge?

Could be twisted table?

....because the trailing edge can be straight but the aileron can still be twisted...I've seen it.

Look at the aileron from the rear, or trailing edge. You should see an even amount of the thicker part toward the front, above and below the trailing edge. It seems that laying flat like you're doing is exposing a twisted aileron,

Best,

....because the trailing edge can be straight but the aileron can still be twisted...I've seen it.

Look at the aileron from the rear, or trailing edge. You should see an even amount of the thicker part toward the front, above and below the trailing edge. It seems that laying flat like you're doing is exposing a twisted aileron,

Best,

I agree with that. I implied " all other things" being equal :) (just trying to justify good marks given to me by geometry teacher in middle school:))

I have seen this before on another builder's plane (but it was flaps as I recall). One was perfect and the other with a twist. After much discussion it was decided that the problem was likely that the skins weren't perfectly symetrical and one skin was flipped over.

Bob
RV-10 N442PM (flying)

Do-Over

John:
Had the same problem on one of my ailerons. I thought about trying to engineer in a reverse twist on the other side to compensate aerodynamically (yeah, I know, dumb idea). Talked to Vans. IIRC, they suggested no more than 1/16 twist end to end. I ended up re-skinning and paying more attention to making sure I was clamped down properly to the work surface. You've probably seen in posts here that the standard fix for a heavy wing on models without the wedge in the aft end is to squeeze the trailing edge of the aileron. If it's that sensitive to twist, your 1/4 in. will likely result in a pretty significant out of balance situation. Just one opinion.
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP

How about this....

Is it possible if the trailing edge is ok and the aileron lines up ok with the flap after mounted. it may be ok?

How about the nose rib might be causing a slight wobble but once the aileron is installed, it might be ok?