mike newall

Well Known Member
Sponsor
About to order an 8 QB.

Finishing the 7, have flown one plenty - all with manual aileron trim.

Does anyone have views on the electric aileron trim - particularly on the 8 ?

At $310 it is an expensive option that may not be worth it but I am prepared to listen :D

Go for it

I've just replaced the manual trim in my -7 with the electric trim, controlled from a hat-switch on the stick and position shown on my AF3500. It's waaaay easier and more convenient than that lever between the seats, esp. when flying two up.

Should have done it from the start.

manual aileron trim

The manual trim on the -8, although not as simple as the -6 and -7, is
easy to install and works fine. I drilled an access hole in the floor big
enough for a 3/8" socket so as to be able to adjust the friction. I've only
had to adjust it once. I have no experience with the electric elevator
or aileron trim. So no opinion here.

Aileron trim

Aileron trim is not an essential when building but is near the top of the later refinements along with rudder trim that turns a great airplane into its highest form.

I am sometimes amazed at all the stuff folks put on their 'fighter stick grips,' some of which makes little sense. If jet fighters need electric aileron trim activated by the coolie hat switch, why wouldn't an RV with it's constantly changing wing imbalances due to burning one fuel tank at a time?

Again, it's not an essential, but makes one's plane a deluxe model!

Just one man's opinion!

I built the plane with manual aileron trim but removed it, served no useful purpose for me. With stick forces so light in the RV it's just extra parts to carry around (I thought it was a poor design as well). Keep the fuel balanced or flip on the autopilot if you need to fly "hands off".

I thought the aileron trim was a joke when I was building, but I went with electric trim (elev and ail) and now that I am flying I love it.

I built the plane with manual aileron trim but removed it, served no useful purpose for me. With stick forces so light in the RV it's just extra parts to carry around (I thought it was a poor design as well). Keep the fuel balanced or flip on the autopilot if you need to fly "hands off".

I have this habit of releasing pressure on the stick. If it isn't perfectly in balance, I can't stand it! :)

Mine is the servo operated tab type.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Save some money and go with manual trim

Mike,
My RV-7 has manual aileron trim which I will upgrade to electric. It works fine, but the trim handle is in an inconvenient place. I also fly a RV-8A with electric trim that is very slow reacting due to the geometry of the trim setup. On the 7 there is a very good mechanical advantage in the trim setup using an electric servo. I haven't flown an 8 with manual trim but in looking at the geometry of the 8 trim setup I think this would be the best way to go .

Manual or electric, either is fine. Why would you not install Aileron
trim especially in the side by side RVs where fuel imbalance or even
just one person on board can make one wing heavy. Changing
tanks every 15 minutes works I guess, but why when you can
install a simple trim system. I was advised that the -8 didn't need
aileron trim but I installed it anyway.... and I'm glad I did. I use
my airplane as a cross country tool and the ability to take my
hand off the stick (even without the autopilot on) makes good
sense. Try flying in the clouds with an out of trim condition and
see how much fun that is.

The way my aileron trim works is that I have a knob in the center console that is geared 3:1 to a drum. The drum has a cable wound around it whose ends go down and out and attach to springs connected to the bottom of the sticks. Rotating the knob adds tension to one spring and one stick and decreses tension on the other spring and stick. The springs are 10lb/inch.