prkaye

Well Known Member
My right wing is going much, much faster than I expected. I'm getting set to order my fuse soon, and looking at the options list. Am I correct to assume that if I'm putting an autopilot in (either single-axis, or one that can also hold altitude) then there's no point in putting in Aileron trim? Or is Aileron trim still a good idea?
I'm also getting the steps for both sides. Any other options you guys strongly recommend for a x-country -9A ?

aileron trim helps

Phil,
I have a flying RV-9A with about 170 hours on it. I built it and use it for x-country flying. I have made two long cross country trips (2000+ miles)and five shorter trips(8-900 miles). I have a Tru-Track with altitude hold. I installed manual aileron trim while building on the advise of a friend with experience. Yes, the autopilot will keep the plane level when it is on but it isn't on all the time. The manual trim is cheap, simple, and easy to install. For those times you are not flying with the autopilot it helps. I like a plane that is in-trim and that I can take my hands off to fold a map, etc. The most out-of-trim situations produce low stick forces and are easily controllable but do require that you pay attention and not let go of the stick. Also there is the small chance the autopilot may fail. With manual trim you have that extra control. I use my manual trim.

Just my two cents,
Larry Dickinson
RV-9A N95LD
Atlanta, GA

Good points... how about weight? if it's really light, I'll probably go for the manual trim.
How do you like the tru-track? So it controls the roll axis plus the elevators for altitude hold?

I agree with Larry 100%. I once removed my manual roll trim, and later put it back in. It weighs practically nothing.

Put the manual trim in. As the others have said it is easy to install and doesn't weigh anything. I also like manual elevator trim MUCH better than electric. I fly two 6s and an 8 right now and the manual trim is way better than the electric. Don

When I adopted my RV-6, it had electric aileron trim & manual elevator trim. The switch for the aileron trim was on the center pedestal & the manual elevator trim was below that...right above the fuel selector. Since then, I've removed the manual elevator trim & installed electric elevator trim using a Gretz Aero trim kit with a Ray Allen servo. I also moved the switches for both onto Infinity stick grips.​

I absolutely love it how I have it set up now. The newer Ray Allen servos are the perfect speed for both the aileron & elevator. The Gretz kit was a perfect match & keeps the servo out of the elevator. The Ray Allen relays let you just wire two sets of switches to them without anything fancy (cuz ya gotta have trim switches on both sticks).​

You can obviously build it without aileron trim, but to get hands-off flying (or even comfortable hands-on flying) you need it. FWIW, I have a Trio autopilot & love it too, but I always keep the plane trimmed - even when flying on the autopilot.​