Charles in SC

Well Known Member
I am installing Van's aileron trim and wondering about how much the springs should be streched when they are correct? I have seen some alternatives to the .041 safety wire but am still studying this issue.

I don't remember the instuctions from Van if there were any. I know I set it such that for the minimum length condition there was still a little tension such that it was not slack and drooping (to prevent snagging). This turns out to be considerably further stretched in the neutral position than you would expect. The safety wire is only about 1.5 to 2" long on my bird. Not worth installing the RC model parts that I had purchased to use.

Secondarily, I would consider not hooking them up for first flight and early flight testing. Your choice of course.

Last edited:
I second not hooking them up until after the first flight. I made my springs equal length (I forget the length, just enough to hold tension), and had a pretty heavy left wing. After removing the aileron trim most of my heavy wing went away. Springs were still within 1/8 inch while stretched but somehow added to the heavy wing.