The manual trim works great and is cheap and simple. Plus you don't have an ugly tab hanging off the aileron. Don

The manual trim works great and is cheap and simple. Plus you don't have an ugly tab hanging off the aileron. Don

Except, everyone that flew my RV6A with that little tab hanging off the aileron...........preferred the "feel" of it. It was also electric. Their planes had the bias system. I know that "biased" spring trim is usually used these days, for it's simplicity. But if I was ever to do it again, I'd always incorporate a tab of one form or another. I've never liked bias springs.

edit: PS.... my (elec) elevator & aileron were operated from a four way hat switch on the stick. Worked better, than I ever could have imagined.

L.Adamson

Last edited:
I've used both manual and electric, either was biasing Van's spring. (Trim tab vs. spring is a different issue.) I'm sticking with electric for only two reasons. First, the manual lever of the Van's installation is a real PITA for groping between the seat cushions to find and move it. Second, Van's manual set-up relies on friction to keep the position; the spring pulls on that end, too, so eventually it creeps out of position. There's a friction adjustment, but getting to it to compensate for nylon oozing over time requires removing the seat pans.

John Siebold

Aileron trim

I can't seem to locate my drawing of the electric trim. I'm also missing the springs and whatever else attaches it all to the controls and need to order those parts. Without the drawing that's a problem. Can anyone help with that?
Thanks!

I REALLY like my manual trim ...

It's simple, straightforward, and works like a charm. Unlike someone said, there is no "groping" for it. It's but a few inches straight below the throttle and mixture knobs. Trimming for straight & level seldom requires more than a 1/4 turn of the knob .... usually far less. With my center-panel location for the flaps and fuel pump switches, all the controls I need in the pattern are within about 10". It is convenient, easy, and natural - even on my first two or three flights. I would go manual trim again, no question.

My background is Electrical Engineering.

I built my RV-6 over 15-years ago. I installed manual Aileron trim, manual, elevator trim, and manual flaps.

The manual stuff is cheaper and works well. I saw no reason to spend more money and end up with additional stuff to break.

Ditto everything that Gary said except that aileron trim wasn't available when I built, 20 years ago. Add manual aileron trim when it became available and love it.

Maybe neither

I originally installed the manual that uses springs. I don't remember an electric option at the time.

When I am hand-flying the airplane I don't notice any tendency to roll even though it is there if I let go. I change tanks every half hour. The EFIS reminds me.

When I want the airplane to fly itself I use the AP. If you are going to use the airplane for IFR don't even think of not getting an AP. If you are going to fly in Class B airspace, get at least altitude hold, but even better, a 2-axis AP. They like precision and it prevents any accidental deviations that could cause an unpleasant conversation later. When the AP is working you have more time for charts and plates, paying attention to the radio, etc.

I removed the trim mechanism. And yes, it was a PITA to find the little lever between the seats. It also would prevent you from installing an inside armrest / storage box.

Just one more option.

Luv my electric trim

I put MAC electric elevator and aileron trim on my -4. I also have electric flaps. Everything is on the stick grip...I never have to look for a switch or take hand off stick. Just a tap of aileron trim and instant level wings. I made a simple 6" wide, 1" deep tab similar to the elevator tab that is almost undetectable at the outboard end of the l/h aileron. I can provide pics if your interested.

My background is Electrical Engineering.

I built my RV-6 over 15-years ago. I installed manual Aileron trim, manual, elevator trim, and manual flaps.

The manual stuff is cheaper and works well. I saw no reason to spend more money and end up with additional stuff to break.

No problem at all..............:D

If you don't mind stuffing your hand between the seats (especially with a over weight passenger) to set the flaps, and then reaching far forward to adjust the pitch,,,,, and then quickly back to the throttle..... for landing.

----or just stay away from the $100 hamburger flights---

nah.............I just liked keeping my hand on the throttle for the landing sequence, while easily adjusting any required trim...from the four way hat switch on the stick. It works great!!!! :)

P.S. ---- my electric flap switch is located next to the throttle for easy manipulation while hand is still on throttle.

L.Adamson

If you don't mind stuffing your hand between the seats (especially with a over weight passenger) to set the flaps, and then reaching far forward to adjust the pitch,,,,, and then quickly back to the throttle..... for landing.

----or just stay away from the $100 hamburger flights----

We know what Mr Adamson likes. No issue with that. But the notion that reaching down between the seats is a flight safety, workload or similar negative issue is something that I do not see.

One...you most likely do not need to trim the aileron in the pattern.

Two... once the flaps are partway deployed they are easier to further deploy.

Three... just fly with women or suitable width guys.

Four.... I can take my hand off the throttle for a few seconds during the approach. Not in the flare of course but just after starting final I see no issue.

Electric...Manual....Combination. Do what works for you but carefully evaluate arguments pro and con.

One thing to keep in mind, while reading answers here,

Is that it's possible to have thousands of installations with electric aileron trim, and for sure, when it comes to elec. flaps & elec. elevator trim.

However, there is always a vocal few, who will want to continually justify their use of manual methods, while the thousands just never reply.

P.S.--- for the vocal few, don't get to upset. Happy holidays... :D

And for some reason, you don't think there are thousands of people who like manual controls that don't reply.

Larry, you like what you like and you have your reasons. And that's great. But it doesn't mean that your reasons are the only right ones!

And for some reason, you don't think there are thousands of people who like manual controls that don't reply.

Larry, you like what you like and you have your reasons. And that's great. But it doesn't mean that your reasons are the only right ones!

Hi Mel,

At least we're some of the few.......who say what's on our mind. :)

I don't have a dog in the fight, but there is another option; No aileron trim.
The stick pressures are so light that I find it completely unecessary, even on long cross countries. I can balance pretty well with tank selection. Might drive others crazy but I find it a non issue.

Good point. And I agree. I flew for quite a while without it and never had a problem. I switch tanks every 5 gallons.
After I installed it I came to like it, but honestly, I use it very little.

No Trim

No aileron trim will definitely be considered by me... Unless...

However, does planning to install an Auto Pilot require some form of aileron trim on the 8??

No aileron trim will definitely be considered by me... Unless...
However, does planning to install an Auto Pilot require some form of aileron trim on the 8??

If your airplane will fly straight and level hands-off, then no, you shouldn't need aileron trim with A/P.
If, however, you constantly have to hold stick pressure, you will need to get those problems cleared up first.

It does matter....

Okay, I'm back in this.

Call me a perfectionist. It's a fact, that depending on fuel & passenger load, that there will be some imbalance in the roll axis. Especially with side to sides. Unless you're constantly making fuel changes, it's inevitable.

I like perfect hands off trim, which doesn't put pressure on a auto-pilot servo. And I've attained exactly what I wanted...........with that little servo operated trim tab out on the aileron.

Of course, what you never had, you may feel that you won't miss it..........until you've actually used one. I know that every pilot who flew my plane...........made some very positive remarks about the trim system (all electric). It really is that good, and I'd never change it.

L.Adamson

P.S.--- if doing it again, I wouldn't even mind an operable rudder trim. I'm not a fan of bias springs, and fixed trim is always a bit of compromise.

I am back in too!

Not having aileron trim seems to be a less than wise way to go. Do as you wish, but I do not change fuel tanks every gallon or two to keep the roll balance perfect. I use trim as required (manual in my plane).

If it is very easy to add on later my view can be discounted. Generally, if doing it as you build is the easiest, I would add it (manual or electric your choice).

Not having aileron trim could negatively impact resale value/timeliness.

Last edited:
I'm pretty conscientious about fuel burn and balancing tanks so I don't really use the aileron trim that much, but I installed the manual trim just because it was simple and cheap.

The one thing I don't like about it is having to remove the knob every time I want to get the floors up to do some maintenance but other than that, meh.

Electric on the stick...

Tap of the thumb without a thought... never any issue or effort and you are in trim. I am often amazed at how long I can let go of the controls completely and just keep going on course; even with the auto pilot off ;)

Okay, I'm back in this.

Call me a perfectionist. It's a fact, that depending on fuel & passenger load, that there will be some imbalance in the roll axis. Especially with side to sides. Unless you're constantly making fuel changes, it's inevitable.

I like perfect hands off trim, which doesn't put pressure on a auto-pilot servo. And I've attained exactly what I wanted...........with that little servo operated trim tab out on the aileron.

Of course, what you never had, you may feel that you won't miss it..........until you've actually used one. I know that every pilot who flew my plane...........made some very positive remarks about the trim system (all electric). It really is that good, and I'd never change it.

L.Adamson

P.S.--- if doing it again, I wouldn't even mind an operable rudder trim. I'm not a fan of bias springs, and fixed trim is always a bit of compromise.

If you are truly concerned about not putting any pressure on your AP servo you will need to turn off you AP regularly and re-trim. I did not put any trim device in as the manufacturer of my AP said it compensated for it and was well within its capability. Unfortunately, that AP was cr--p and i departed it from the aircraft and did not replace it, nor did I add trim. (VFR airplane and I like flying it, even on long cross countries, gives me something to do.) So, I had experienced both worlds when the AP was working and don't miss it.
I don't care how far out of trim your RV is, if it is rigged correctly, the worst case trim scenario still produces very minor stick pressures. Again, I am used to it and don't mind. As I mentioned it would drive others plumb crazy, those that are not already there that is!
(by the way, if you let me fly your airplane I will say good things about your trim system too, and I am sure it is good. I know a lot of people who love theirs and the ones I have flown are really nice).