BillC

Well Known Member
Started working on the wingtip installation this weekend and cut the aileronn gap area of the fiberglass using the wing attach mold line as a guide. After fitting up the tip the gap between the aileron and the fiberglass tip seems large (~ 0.375") but not large when compared to Cessnas and Pipers parked outside.
Question; what have others been cutting this gap to be 0.125", 0.25", 0.375", other?? Any thoughts about making it too small or too large?

Thanks in advance!

1/4

BillC said:
Started working on the wingtip installation this weekend and cut the aileronn gap area of the fiberglass using the wing attach mold line as a guide. After fitting up the tip the gap between the aileron and the fiberglass tip seems large (~ 0.375") but not large when compared to Cessnas and Pipers parked outside.
Question; what have others been cutting this gap to be 0.125", 0.25", 0.375", other?? Any thoughts about making it too small or too large?

Thanks in advance!

The old -6 drawings (sheet 10) give a dimension here of 0.25 inch.

gil in Tucson

1/8"

The gap on my 7 is 1/8" I filled the channel on the wing tip to achieve this gap.

Unfortunately, Imageshack isn't working now so I can't post a couple of pictures.

I'll try again later.

BillC said:
.......what have others been cutting this gap to be 0.125", 0.25", 0.375", other?? Any thoughts about making it too small or too large?
Bill,

For the -8 project, I simply decided to set a gap that would be pleasing to MY eyes and settled upon approximately a tenth of an inch for the gap. I'm sure it will be just fine. In any event, the fiberglass can always be trimmed back later to increase the gap which in all probability will not be likely.

wingtipgapdetails00715kb1.jpg

Bill, I just finished my tips and...I remember that plans say to leave nominal gap of 8/32''.

I achieved this simply cutting the tip trailing edge a little bit, adjusting all the tip with the wing and then final cutting to 1/4''. After that, you can install the aluminium tip. Otherwise, if installed before, you may need to file both fiberglass tip AND aluminium tip.

Remember to perfectly align the tip trailing edge with the aileron trailing edge. I guess that a misalignment will work as a little flap while flying, thus decreasing efficiency.