airguy

Unrepentant fanboy
Sponsor
I'm ready to close out both wings on my 9A, I've hung the ailerons and adjusted the fore/aft pushrod for neutral position, and I'm scratching my head a bit over the aileron stop that is supposed to limit the aileron travel.

This is the small piece that you fab up from angle, and is supposed to be riveted to the inboard aileron hanger to hit the rotating aileron bracket at full deflection. There is some room to play with regard to exactly where the rivet holes are placed in the aileron stop - does anyone have the specs for how far from neutral the aileron throw is supposed to be for these stops? The build instructions get pretty vague here and don't mention it at all - it's only shown on the plans with cryptic notes about how to install it.

Scratch that - I figured it out. The problem I was having was that the aileron was not rotating far enough to engage the aileron stop - my issue was that a rivet head on the pushrod end connection was contacting the edge of the tear-drop shaped hole where the rod passes through the rear spar of the wing, I'll have to slightly relieve that hole to stop that contact, and then the aileron stop engages just perfectly fine. More importantly, the pushrod itself won't catch on the hole (on EITHER side) interfering with aileron travel in flight.

Ok - new question - what is the standard deflection range of the ailerons on a 9? I get free movement to 33 degrees up aileron (to aileron stop) and 26 degrees down (to pushrod contact on the rear spar). What actual limits are needed?

Ok - new question - what is the standard deflection range of the ailerons on a 9? I get free movement to 33 degrees up aileron (to aileron stop) and 26 degrees down (to pushrod contact on the rear spar). What actual limits are needed?

Check the last section in the manual--I forget which chapter, but I think it's the one that discusses w&b and first flight issues. It gives a table for allowable movement up and down of both the elevators and ailerons. Hope this helps.

travel limits

You cannot verify the "down" travel until both wings and ailerons are installed on the airframe and linked together. The down travel distance is a result of the opposite wing's upward travel limit.
My values ended up at the top of the tolerance limits. The only way to change the travel range would be to remake the aileron stops with the rivet holes in a slightly different location.

The only way to change the travel range would be to remake the aileron stops with the rivet holes in a slightly different location.

...which would be easy enough after the wings are installed. Simply remove the aileron and flap and you've got lots of workroom - short and sweet.

I understand that the down travel on one aileron is a function of the max up travel on the other - that's what concerns me. I currently only have 26 degrees of down travel on the left aileron (have not checked travel limits on the right yet) before the pushrod makes contact with the side of the hole through the rear spar. If the right aileron has the same 33 degrees of up travel before it contacts the hard stop as the left one does, then I'll actually be limited by pushrod contact as versus aileron stop contact - not a desirable situation. That's why I was asking about ACTUAL max deflection seen in a completed flying assembly. If it's under 26 degrees then life is good and no problems - and the aileron stops will never see contact, they just get a free ride.

Greg,

Because of the geometry of the aileron + pushrod + hinge bolt, a down deflection on one aileron does not mean the same number of degrees of up deflection on the other. In fact, this can be used to some advantage if one ends up with a slightly heavy wing (but only slightly heavy). Build it approx to plans and then you can adjust the stops later when it's all put together (as noted in a previous post).

greg

Greg,

Because of the geometry of the aileron + pushrod + hinge bolt, a down deflection on one aileron does not mean the same number of degrees of up deflection on the other.

Clear - I got to looking at the geometry of the hinge point, and came to the same conclusion. I am going to cease panic on this problem until the wings are mounted, and I'll review it then for good travel without contact.

Greg,

Hope to see you here at the R3 again this year. If I'm lucky (and persistent), maybe I'll have the plane painted by then!

greg

Greg,

Hope to see you here at the R3 again this year. If I'm lucky (and persistent), maybe I'll have the plane painted by then!

greg

I really want to be there - but can't commit at this time. I'm going in for some neurosurgery on my neck around the end of July or early August, so I don't really know if I'm going to be able to make Reno or not yet. Oshkosh is out...

Resurrecting this old thread to ask someone to post an image of their aileron stop. Not the Delrin; the actual one in the plans. There's something about the picture in the plans that isn't registering with me and I need to see what it looks like in real life.

Thanks.

Clear - I got to looking at the geometry of the hinge point, and came to the same conclusion. I am going to cease panic on this problem until the wings are mounted, and I'll review it then for good travel without contact.

Greg, I had the same issue. Take my advice clean up the hole really well in the aft spar for the rod. The rivets in the aileron control rod will be a problem also. I had to fool around with this for hours when was trying to rig them. Finally had to pull everything apart to get the clearance I needed. The delron rod is a good idea. I didn't do it. I am not sure it's necessary. The ailerons have lot's of travel and I doubt you'll every reach the stops.