David Johnson

Well Known Member
Wise sages:

Had my first real screw up today. I closed up the left aileron and was so proud of my work...not even 1/16" twist in the thing. I brought it into the living room to show my wife :D, and as I was sitting in the chair admiring my handiwork, it dawned on me that I had riveted the trailing edge skin over the leading edge skin on the bottom (top is done correctly). This causes the the overlap to face forward, contrary to the plans. Doh!

It looks fine and the mistake is on the bottom of the wing. Just curious...is it worth drilling out the bottom skin to aileron spar pull rivets so I can place the trailing edge under the leading edge as designed, or will I do more damage than good?

Dave

If anybody ever notices, just tell them you are experimenting with ways to counteract with adverse yaw

By the way - how much aileron twist is acceptable before you notice it's affect on flight handling? Does anyone have any experience? For example replacing or rebuilding and aileron to fix a problem experienced during flight testing.
Jim Sharkey

Don't tell anybody, but ...

I did the same thing :rolleyes:

I drilled out the rivets and reassembled it correctly with no damage. I waited until I did the second aileron (correctly) and then couldn't stand looking at the first one.
Technically, it doesn't matter.

DGlaeser said:
I did the same thing :rolleyes:

I drilled out the rivets and reassembled it correctly with no damage. couldn't stand looking at the first one.

Knowing David I suspect he will do the same on a........................
10924-donderwolk.gif

Day

AltonD said:
If anybody ever notices, just tell them you are experimenting with ways to counteract with adverse yaw
If they notice, it's probably because the airplane is sitting upside down...in which case I would have worse problems! :D

jsharkey said:
By the way - how much aileron twist is acceptable before you notice it's affect on flight handling?
Just speculating, but I would think much more than 1/4" would start to have a noticeable effect. Perhaps someone can confirm.

Dave

Woaah, For a minute there I thought of the flap (thinking aileron) where the TE wraps around the bottom of the flap and I could swear I did it to the plans. I quickly ran to Dan C.'s website and relized I got the two mixed up for a second. QUIT SCARING ME! :D