John Ciolino

I have the wings mounted and am fiitting the left flap on my RV-8. The trailing edge of the flap ends up about
3/4" below the fuselage if I align it with the aileron. This makes me think my aileron is mounted too low or I am not getting the aileron properly in trail. I scoured the RV boards and came across a reference to a "W-730 aileron rigging tool" and to using the tooling holes in the end ribs to align the aileron, then the flap. My plans pre-date these instuctions. Can someone describe how to make a W-730 and the procedues for using the tooling holes. Thanks.

I wouldn't try to make one. A small error in fabrication could introduce a significant error. Buy one from Van's ($2.60).

Here's how the plans look for the -7. Maybe someone can confirm if it's the same for the -8.

IMG_1315.JPG

IMG_1304.JPG

Remember this is from the RV-7 drawings so may not translate directly to the RV-8 but it does give an idea of what the W-730 is for and how the tooling holes are used.

.....The trailing edge of the flap ends up about 3/4" below the fuselage if I align it with the aileron. This makes me think my aileron is mounted too low or I am not getting the aileron properly in trail.....

I wouldn't try to make one. A small error in fabrication could introduce a significant error. Buy one from Van's ($2.60).
Here's how the plans look for the -7. Maybe someone can confirm if it's the same for the -8.
I wouldn't try to make one either. Best to just buy one. It does appear to be the same aileron alignment tool used on the -8 series.

Still, I don't think the tool will be much help in this case. As far as aligning the trailing edges to one another, I think the larger issue is to first make sure the aileron is FIRST fixed in the true neutral position. Everything keys off of that. As the photo shows, it is an extended straight line established by the outer rib tooling holes that are used for reference. When the neutral position is established, the wingtips and flaps are THEN aligned to the neutral position of the ailerons.