Gregg Brightwell

Well Known Member
Another question,

If I am looking at the print right, I could fabricate my own rear skin out of spare .020 instead of buying one right? Or would it just be better to order a pp skin with the rest of my order?

Gregg

Aileron main skin

There is no reason that you can't make your own skin, provided you have the facility to make the correct radius bend for the trailing edge.

Think time... money.... quality of work...

Replacement prepunched skin is, what, $35. Shipping probably $30. Compare that to cost for the aluminum sheet you would buy including going to get it. Then, if you are comfortable making the bends and drilling skin holes, have at it. Money means a lot to a lot of people. Time and ability play a factor too. I would buy a PP skin myself. :rolleyes:

...Aileron skin

Well, I have plenty of .020 laying around, am confident in my ability to fabricate one, and up till this point I have not had ANYTHING prepunched on my -4 thus far on my tail, or wings. Also, the bend radius is finalized in the homemade press that we made for the tail feathers, so that is not an issue.

HOWEVER, thinking it over, I have a big list to order. Weighing the options, it is probably more sensible to just order one with the rest of my parts. Guess I will decide right before I click the 'checkout' button.

I'd go for it. If you mess up the fab you can always order the pp. Worse case scenario you learn something.