rph142

Well Known Member
My aileron pushrod is contacting the top of the rear spar hole when the ailerons are near neutral position. It looks like ill need to take 1/8"-3/16" off the top of this hole before i get enough clearance. Is this common/OK? Thanks in advance.

Mine don't

Steve,

You wild and crazy guy :D Sorry I could not resist. I just did this on my left wing and mine do not touch in the neutral position. They also don't touch when I run the aileron through the upper ends of the travel limits (32 up to 17 down). I think some have had issues with this, but it might be the rivets in the push rods. Is the rod touching or is it just one of the rivets? I had the rod ends welded on my mine. I will say that the push rod gets real close to the rear spar but it does not touch.

Hopefully someone else will chime in and show us some pictures of theirs.

Cheers

Rob--

Double check your bellcrank installation and the drawing for the bellcrank...

I found it pretty easy to get things out of order/backwards, which definitely leads to interference. I re-installed--correctly--and everything was clear:eek:

Joe

My aileron pushrod is contacting the top of the rear spar hole when the ailerons are near neutral position. It looks like ill need to take 1/8"-3/16" off the top of this hole before i get enough clearance. Is this common/OK? Thanks in advance.

Rob,

I don't think this is an issue on the match-holed kits such as the -8 but it looks like you will need the advice of a -3 builder to confirm this for you.

Its the actual bar that is rubbing, which means the rivets will be a larger problem. No matched holes on this kit. I talked to vans and they said to take out what is needed because there is a doubler there. It seems like it would be a bad idea to take out material from the web of this spar. :confused:

What Rob said. On my 9A the aileron p-rod didn't rub in neutral position, but did under substantial movement. Vans said to grind out the rr spar hole as necessary. ALso said the problem was fairly common.

Well I just got off the phone with vans again today. They said its actually OK to take that hole all the way to the spar flange if necessary. I wont have to go quite that far, but that is comforting.