aussierv7builder

I'm New Here
Hi Everyone,
Just in the process of fabricating the W-716 Aileron Pushrods. I have primed the pushrod tubes inside and out, but my question is this. Do I need to prime the VA-111 Threaded Rod Ends as well?

Thanks in advance.

Yours sincerely,
Steve Last
RV-7

Rod ends

No Steve, they are alodined for corrosion protection.

Edit: So after looking back at my builder's log, " I " alodined the pushrod ends and alodined the tips of the pushrod. No primer under the ends because of fitment issues.

Last edited:
I just picked up my wing kit in Nov and my VA-111's were not anodized. The only anodized parts were the main spars. Last week I primed both the pushrods and VA-111's with Stewart Systems. Should my VA-111's have been anodized???

Not anodized

My pushrod ends were not anodized and I had a heck of a time getting them installed. The primer buildup basically made them a press fit, so getting them installed with the holes correctly aligned was a real bear. Here's what I ended up doing:

After pounding one in too far:
20090702-07-tn.jpg

I improvised a little screw jack to pull it back out. Note that I'm not pulling on the threads here...rather, the head of the bolt and a washer is inside the tube.

20090703-03-tn.jpg
20090703-04-tn.jpg

Using a similar screw jack idea made putting the rest of them in easy. Again, I'm not using the threads in the fitting:

20090703-06-tn.jpg

They came out reasonably well:

20090703-08-tn.jpg

Good luck!

Hi Everyone,
Just in the process of fabricating the W-716 Aileron Pushrods. I have primed the pushrod tubes inside and out, but my question is this. Do I need to prime the VA-111 Threaded Rod Ends as well?

Thanks in advance.

Yours sincerely,
Steve Last
RV-7

Not at all. If those corrode, the rest of your plane is junk in any case.